HP Photosmart not working wireless

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought the HP Photosmart 5520 wireless printer, can't get my mac to talk to it, any suggestions please??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Does your Mac meet the minimum system requirements for that printer?

•Mac OS X v10.6, Lion, or Mountain Lion; Intel® Core™ Processor; 1 GB HD; CD-ROM/DVD or Internet; USB

Did you use the install disc or did you prompt your Mac to discover the printer and set it up that way?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, only just seen your reply and thank you. I have Mac OS X Lion but I added Mountain Lion when I purchased Aperture if that makes sense. I did initially install the disc and then tried to prompt my Mac, to be honest I am not sure what I am doing? Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If those drivers from the link member harryb2448 provided doesn't work, try removing the printer (in system preferences). Then go into Printer in System Preferences and let your Mac "discover" it. Your Mac should choose the proper driver for you. That's how I did it with my HP photosmart (different model than yours).

OP
P
Reaction score
Harryb I am getting this message after installing and removing usb cable

The wireless network settings were successfully downloaded to your device. However, your Mac was unable to locate the device on the network.

Please make sure that:

• Your Mac is connected to a wired or wireless network that has access to your device.

• Your device is connected to the wireless network "aolwireless".

Click "Retry" to attempt to connect again using the current settings. Click "Go Back" to enter different settings. Do I somehow have to link the Mac and if so how ?

MymacRox, have tried that before, can print with usb cable attached but as soon as I remove on install get above message

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. I have one of these printers. Bought just last week.

Here's the best way to setup:
Download the latest driver for this from the HP site. Do not use the CD.
Don't connect the printer to your Mac at all.
Run through the wifi setup on the printer, entering the password etc purely on the printer.
Once done it will print a network configuration print which will confirm it's connected to your network ok.

On you Mac go into Printers and remove any previous attempts.
Restart your Mac and install the driver downloaded from HP.
You don't need to go through the wireless config option as that's already done.
The setup will detect the printer on your network and talk you through adding it to your Mac printer list.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks mrplow. Says my printer is offline, will uninstall and try again, nightmare. I skipped set up to avoid configuring and I went to print a document, printer offline

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
But the printer is working ok standalone?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes if I plug the usb in I can print no problem, so maybe just have to go along with that, easier but just thought being wireless should be able to use that way, thanks for your quick response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, no, what I meant is does it work ok after just doing the wireless setup on the printer?

Ie is it connected to the network ok? Can it print the network config page ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I'd suggest you're right to remove all from your mac and reinstall. But no USB cable. Just let it detect the printer on the network

OP
P
Reaction score
When I download the programme I get a prompt to connect to the computer. Will try again thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the USB is the problem. What I was suggesting earlier is letting the Mac discover your printer "wirelessly". Sorry I didn't add that detail. I hope you get it solved because I know it will work - wireless printer setup in general (i.e. all manufacturers) can be touchy and sometimes takes a few attempts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Next question what router and/or Airport Extreme are you using?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To add to what Harry asked, and since the printer connects to your Routers WiFi, are you putting in the WiFi Encryption Key correctly? I just set up an HP here via WiFi and once I got the key entered correctly it all worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The network config print is ok so no reason to assume the printer isn't connected to the network.

I'm a bit lost of exactly where the driver install is failing at this point

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.