Where are all of these files stored? (newbie)

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say I'm new here but I've been lurking around for a couple of days. Also I did do a search and a google search. So heres my story...I have a Macbook Pro model A1260 with OSX 10.7.5. This beautiful machine belonged to my brother-in-law and he handed it down to me when my PC laptop took a dump. So he didn't format the hard drive that way I could keep all of the applications and software. I noticed when i looked at the "About this Mac" section that most of my memory was filled with back ups. So i found on this website how to turn off the backups in the terminal but now where it use to say back ups now it just says other. Its taking up a lot of the memory so i want to find them and delete them. If any one can show me where the files are I will greatly appreciate it. I"ve attached a picture the memory so you can see what im talking about.

Reaction score
you could take all the important files that you need and back them up on a external harddrive. Then go into disk utility and wipe the disc, This should wipe the files that you cant find. Then you can put the files that you backed up back onto the computer. this should free your space

OP
R
Reaction score
you could take all the important files that you need and back them up on a external harddrive. Then go into disk utility and wipe the disc, This should wipe the files that you cant find. Then you can put the files that you backed up back onto the computer. this should free your space

I thought about that but i dont have the recovery disk so it wont let me wipe it clean.

Reaction score
1. It's not memory, it's drive space. there's a difference.
2. You're running Lion or Mt. Lion? Restart and hold down Option. You don't have a restore partition?

It makes things easier if you put your computers specs under your name.
<-------- see here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.