mountain lion no longer supporting power PC applications

Reaction score
Recently I had hard drive of my IMac replaced as a recall. The guys in the shop updated my system with Mountain Lion. Now the system will not run my HP Scanjet 8300.
It comes up with message:"You can't open the application because power PC applications are no longer supported" I bought the Mac to hang the scanner and Epson Stylus PRO 3800 of it for my work.
Any idea how can I use the scanner with existing OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And for your own information, OS X Lion (10.7) dropped support for PowerPC applications. OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) was the last version that had support for PowerPC apps..

Apart from the HP Scanjet application/driver that is failing, look at your applications and if you see any of them with a circle and diagonal line over the icon, then those applications will not work either..

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Doug b, but I can't even start with uninstalling the HP software, because the uninstall icon has the circle and diagonal line over the icon.[obviously the uninstall program is written in Power PC.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might try grabbing the updated drivers and running the installation on those. Since the old drivers/application are likely PowerPC or Universal, they weren't in use or running anyway. You might have to use a program like AppCleaner and clean out the application..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.