Processor upgrade worth it?

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase the 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM and 256GB flash storage. I am conflicted with the two processor options, should I stick with the 2.6GHz i5 or upgrade to the 3.0GHz i7 for an additional $180.00

My budget is around $1,700 and I get an education discount, so if I go with the 2.6GHz i5 I could tack on AppleCare for $183, bringing the total to $1,782.

or if the 3.0GHz i7 is worth it, I could add it on bringing my total to $1,779 then purchase AppleCare before the end of the first year.

My daily usage on the computer is internet browsing, word processing (MS Office) for college work and I watch a decent amount of videos and movies.

Would it be worth the upgrade to the 3.0 i7 or should I just save the $180 and use it towards AppleCare? Is there a major difference in performance between 256GB and 512GB SSD? I have also considered the 13" MacBook Air but with the student discount it comes to $1,622, only $160 more than the 13" rMBP that I am considering, which I feel like is worth it. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Based on your usage, you won't see a big difference with the i7, so you might want to stick with the i5 and get the AppleCare..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.