Opinions/Input if I may...

Reaction score
I am looking at setting up a home office at home and need opinions on which way to go. My goal actually would be to make this office dual use. It would be an office to work from home a couple days a week and it would also be my "play room". So, I would have both a Windows setup for work then I would have a Mac setup for play.

For work, I'd be using my work PC (notebook) so all I really need is a pair of 24"+ screens and I'm good. Tons of displays out there so no issues. On the play side though, I am torn on which way to go.

I want a 24"+ screen which is why I have been eye-balling a 27" iMac. Another thought I've had is to just buy a 27" Thunderbolt display but problem is my 2008 MB doesn't have Thunderbolt. Thought crossed my mind that maybe this would be a good time to upgrade my 2008 MB for a new MB which WOULD come with Thunderbolt but then that means an expense that is not really necessary (there is absolutely nothing wrong with my MB). However, sticking with my 2008 MB leaves me with little choices on displays.

So, here is where I need input. Can you guys provide ideas on what my late 2008 MB is capable of as far as external displays. How big a display can I go?

Or, should I just go for a 27" iMac? Of course, this means my MB would end up laying on the shelf gathering dust. :-(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another thought I've had is to just buy a 27" Thunderbolt display but problem is my 2008 MB doesn't have Thunderbolt.

Not a problem. When it comes to video..."Thunderbolt" is the same thing as a "mini-displayport"...so you just need an adapter.

However, sticking with my 2008 MB leaves me with little choices on displays.

There are lots of good/great display's out there...you don't have to purchase the 27" Apple display.

So, here is where I need input. Can you guys provide ideas on what my late 2008 MB is capable of as far as external displays. How big a display can I go?

If you truly have a 2008 MacBook...then the max. resolution that it can support via external monitor is 1920x1200 (which is LESS than the 27" Apple display).

Or, should I just go for a 27" iMac? Of course, this means my MB would end up laying on the shelf gathering dust. :-(

The 27' iMac's are very nice...and they are your "best bang for the buck".:)

Who says that your MacBook will just lay on the shelf. It's always possible you could take it outside your home when traveling, work, school, etc. It's always nice to have a portable Macintosh computer!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.