Adding extra memory to a ac mini 1,1 with a core2duo chip and firmware upgrade to 2,1

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my core duo mini 1,1 to a core 2 duo and then did a firmware upgrade to 2,1.

I see from various posts that my mini may now accept 4 gbs memory and use 3+ of those.

Does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a quick question for you. How and where did you get that new firmware for the old Core Duo Mini? I have one with a C2D upgrade but never did the firmware.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'll copy the procedure to you tomorrow - will have to find the files and the sudo command.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thank you! I will do some checking on the Memory and get back to you. I know with the original firmware it's 2GB Max. Will see what I can find. Having even 3GB in Lion would be nice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to this thread 4GB does work after the 2.1 Firmware upgrade. Only 3+ will show like you said but will help a lot if you use Lion like I do on mine.

Mac Mini 1.1 or 2.1 ? - MacRumors Forums

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi there. Thanks for the link.

See below for the procedure I used. My screen did scramble but a reboot fixed that. I can't say I understand exactly what this does, but it seems to work.

BTW do I need another mac to do a flash drive installation and a target boot to install Lion on my mini? Currently Lion says it can't install.

"1) Download Archive.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfangrn69rxln3q

2) Extract Archive.zip and place the two files in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware Updates"
- You'll be prompted for a password to authenticate

3) Using Terminal, execute this command:
Code:
sudo bless -mount / -firmware /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/EFIUpdaterApp.efi -payload /System/Library/CoreServices/Firmware\ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd -options "-x efi-apple-payload0-data" --verbose

- Again, you'll need to enter a password to execute the sudo
- You'll get a screen of information, as it blesses/mounts the firmware updates.

4) Shut down your Mac Mini, and hold the power button down until the front light begins to flash.

5) It should begin the firmware upgrade process then reboot. Give it time to complete."

Good luck.

OP
S
Reaction score
4 gb crucial memory fitted today and showing in the system profiler. I assume it's only using 3+ but haven't checked yet. When I can get one at reasonable cost I'll swop the T5600 for a T7600 as well.

Could someone point me to links for installing Lion now?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You got Lion on a USB flash drive or something? Lion is no longer available since the release of Mountain lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.