Virus I can't remove

Reaction score
I'm running my virus scan and i get a notification that exploit-scripnull is on my system under the private/tmp/"infectedfilename". I can't get to this location in Finder, and there is no option to quarantine or remove; just to acknowledge and close the scan. How do i get this off? I see it was discovered in 2005 so what gives; why can't I remove it? From what I've read it's a Windows infection; and poses almost no risk, but i would feel better with my virus scan being clean when i run it. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's a Windows only Trojan, not a virus.

Open Finder - from the Go menu choose Go To Folder
Enter /private/tmp and press ok to open the folder

Now you can delete the file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Most long term Mac users do not use antivirus software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. If you fell uncomfortable with this consider ClamXAV which is freeware and highly recommended by Mac users. Suggest steering clear of commercial av software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Most long term Mac users do not use antivirus software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. If you fell uncomfortable with this consider ClamXAV which is freeware and highly recommended by Mac users. Suggest steering clear of commercial av software.

Hi Harryb.... - new to the forum & to OS X (but not new to computers - first one an Apple II+ in 1980, then PCs until my retirement, now transitioning back to Apple - don't need the work compatibility).

For several years, I played w/ a Linux distro (Unbuntu) on an old IBM laptop and used ClamAV, mainly concerned w/ passing on PC viruses to others using that OS - NOW I have a new MBP which is my personal computer and not planning to worry about an AV program for myself.

However, I'm about to replace my wife's old Dell PC w/ an iMac (w/i a week or so) - she is quite active w/ friends and voluntary online sites (writing etc.) that mostly are using PCs - is there a concern about transmitting PC 'malware' to those systems - I know that these 'baddies' will have no harm on OS X but could still be transferred to a PC via the internet - this is my only issue w/ her using a new iMac; if not important, then not a worry for me. Thanks for any comments or those by others - Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Depends on how you look at it. Do you know any Windows users that don't have a realtime AV software protecting their computer? I'm of the branch that believe Windows users should maintain their own AV software (as I do - and I still am a regular Windows user - 8+ hrs a day using 4 different Win machines daily) and not have a realtime AV on my Macs.

For years, about once every 9-12 months, it was easier to blow away my wife's computer and reinstall Windows than it was to remove the myriad infections she had on her machine - didn't matter what protection I put on there. I transitioned her over to a Mac mid '07 - she's still using the same Mac - that's gone through 3 upgrades to the OS - I run ClamXav on her machine about once a year - so far, nothing found.

Using a realtime AV is the only way you're going to help protect your Windows using friends if your wife is like mine - forwarding all those junk emails (albeit cute) right along to her friends without a second thought.

Some Mac AV software only protects against Mac malware - some only protect against Windows malware - and some protect against both - time to research prior to just picking one if you decide there is a need. For the latest testing have a read here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Some Mac AV software only protects against Mac malware - some only protect against Windows malware - and some protect against both - time to research prior to just picking one if you decide there is a need. For the latest testing have a read here.

Thanks Bobtomay for that link above to the The Safe Mac Guides - been reading several over the last hour or more! As expected, Java receives a lot of attention - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Follow same line of thought as bobtomay. On Windows 8 and XP on a Dell Latitude use Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and simple to update and scan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.