Which configuration should I choose?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to mac-forums but have been a proud 5-year owner of a 15" MacBook Pro (2008). 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 2 / 2 GB RAM / 250 GB HDD.

I am in the market for a new MacBook and I have done my research but I was hoping to seek some last minute advice regarding 3 configurations that I am considering to purchase.

The 3 options I have decided on are with the education discount since I am a college student:
1. 13" MacBook Air - 2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage for $1,529

2. 13" MacBook Pro - 2.6 GHz Intel Dual-Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage for $1,599

3. 15" MacBook Pro - 2.4 GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage for $1,999

I log a lot of hours on my computer but I typically use it for web browsing, email, word processing (ms office) for school, watching videos and movies. so I am not a designer producing movies, editing pictures, etc. From the research I have done it seems like going all-out on my purchase could definitely be over-kill. My budget is around $1700, give or take a $100, but I would be willing to go up to $1,999 if the 15-inch retina is really worth it and significantly better than my other options while still being realistic about my typical usage and requirements.

I am torn between the 13" and 15" screens because I am used to the 15" on my current MacBook but I can see the practicality in the better portability of the 13" so I think I could get used to it.

If anyone would have any input on the 3 configurations I am considering or any other features that I may be leaving out it would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
If it were my money, I'd go with the 13" MBA (weight and portability advantage. Just saying.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Choice number 2. The MacBook Pro has an optical drive, memory can be upgraded, a second hard drive can be added. Same graphics as the Air. The size and weight are not that much different nor is the form factor.

I was just this afternoon looking at both machines and handling them. No doubt in my mind which I would choose. I was impressed, however, with the 11" MacBook Air more so than the 13" MacBook Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
13 inch pro. It's the best for portability with power.

Reaction score
Agree witht he 13" MBP.

$400 savings over the 15" yet still plenty powerful. Not much different in size/weight than the Air.

As far as the 11" Air, my wife has one and I really am not too impressed with the keyboard. The keys are so small I keep fat-fingering them. It's also too top-heavy. The display side keeps tipping it over when trying to use it while in bed. Just my opinion...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another vote for option 2 best bang for the buck.

Reaction score
I own the 13 inch MB Air. Love it.

The keys are different than the Pro (smaller, as noted). Also recessed/lower than the Pro, but typing is still easy.

If it were me, and purchase is not immediate (although you preface with 'last minute advice"), I would wait for the 'rumoured' end of April Macbook Pro upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air 4 GB, 128 SSD
If you are still comfortable with the size and weight of your current 15" MBP, have you thought about replacing your current hard drive with a 250 GB SSD and upgrading the ram to 8 GB. You could probably get both items for $300 to $400 including tax. The SSD and 8 GB of ram should make a huge difference in performance, for a lot less than you were planning to spend on a new laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air 4 GB, 128 SSD
Or, if you really had your heart set on a new laptop, you might consider this refurbished model from the Apple website. 13" MBP with Retina display, 8 GB of ram and a 256 GB SSD for $1,359. From everything I've read, Apple's refurbished products are as good as buying one new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.