flickering screen on grey shades, early 2011 MB pro 15"

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea why some grey shades flicker on my macbook? I've read somewhere that this is some voltage problem and some people managed to get a replacement because of this, could this be possible?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you purchase Apple Care for your 2011 MacBook Pro? If not, it would entirely be up to Apple whether or not they repair or replace your machine for free. Take it on in to an Apple Store and let a genius look at it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Did you purchase Apple Care for your 2011 MacBook Pro? If not, it would entirely be up to Apple whether or not they repair or replace your machine for free. Take it on in to an Apple Store and let a genius look at it.

I did. Please explain why :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I did. Please explain why :)

A little confused by the response......

I think chscag was trying to say, if you have AppleCare now's the time to take advantage of that.

OP
V
Reaction score
A little confused by the response......

I think chscag was trying to say, if you have AppleCare now's the time to take advantage of that.

Seems like he wanted to say that if I have AppleCare then customer service MUST replace it, that is why I ask. I really don't want to leave my macbook for a week or so at the service... Also I have dropped it once, it has a slightly bent corner, hopefully this doesn't ruin the warranty.

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea why some grey shades flicker on my macbook? I've read somewhere that this is some voltage problem and some people managed to get a replacement because of this, could this be possible?

Thanks

It can be replaced if it's still new and on warranty. But if it's a year old, they can fix it but no replacements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Applecare covers your device for three years.

Depending on the work that needs doing they may repair or replace the device at any time in that period.

There are, as with any warranty, exceptions to the cover. The only difficulty I can see you running into is if they think the damage done directly relates the the issue you're seeing.

But it's all guesswork til you take it for them to look at. They will be able to tell you if it can be fixed, what's involved, if it's covered and how long they'll need it for to affect the repair/replacement.

OP
V
Reaction score
Applecare covers your device for three years.

Depending on the work that needs doing they may repair or replace the device at any time in that period.

There are, as with any warranty, exceptions to the cover. The only difficulty I can see you running into is if they think the damage done directly relates the the issue you're seeing.

But it's all guesswork til you take it for them to look at. They will be able to tell you if it can be fixed, what's involved, if it's covered and how long they'll need it for to affect the repair/replacement.

You see the problem is that I have bought it in London and I live in Lithuania, where they never offer a replacement, it might be worth a trip to UK for me if I am sure I would get replacement, If not, it's not worth it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you can 'expect' a replacement anywhere. But surely the point of having a warranty is to get things repaired if they go wrong?

I don't know what facilities you have in Lithuania but it's surely worth a call to Apple to find out your options?

OP
V
Reaction score
I don't think you can 'expect' a replacement anywhere. But surely the point of having a warranty is to get things repaired if they go wrong?

I don't know what facilities you have in Lithuania but it's surely worth a call to Apple to find out your options?

Sure, I will go and see what they'll say about this, but I think it's best to go straight for a call to UK apple store. As far as I've been told, facilities in Lithuania don't offer replacements and there is NO one-stop service... what a mess...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.