Macbook pro usb not working

Sye

Reaction score
I hope someone can help. I plugged a usb hard drive into my macbook pro and the laptop restarted and now the usb ports wont recognise anything or charge anything. The same thing happened in a
Pc but the usb ports still work on that and if i plug it into a imac it just says that the device is drawing too much power.

Is there anyway to fix this or am i screwed!

Its a macbook pro 8.1

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Is the external hard drive mains powered? If not that may be the problem simply too much power required. If you are using OS X.6.8, your post does not say, try Repair Permissions in Disk utility and if no joy boot from the DVD and run Repair Disk.

If OS X.7 or OS X.8 try Repair Permissions and if no joy boot into Command + R and do the Repair Disk from there. Keep us posted?

OP
S

Sye

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, its 10.8.3 and the USB was powered but now nothing works through the USB ports.

ill try booting from disc and see if that helps,

one other thing ive noticed, when i reboot and login i hear 2 error beeps, im assuming 1 for each USB port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two beeps indicates a RAM problem. For starters try re-seating the modules. New memory added lately? Keep us posted?

OP
S

Sye

Reaction score
Two beeps indicates a RAM problem. For starters try re-seating the modules. New memory added lately? Keep us posted?

hi thanks for the info, ive reseated the ram and put the old ones back in (i changed them to 8gb about 10 mins after getting this laptop 14 months ago).

it only beeps once now though...

im gonna try a repair disc, ill let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By beep once I trust you mean the normal chime? Fingers crossed Sye.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.