Slow internet on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello there

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro which I updated to Mountain Lion when it came out. The power button on this Mac died about last November or December and I had it fixed at Apple's service center (they changed the whole top panel). That's just some historical background about the Macbook just in case it may be some how related?

I have a couple of computers at home and they are all connected to the same network, but for some reason the Mac's connection is always pretty slow, as in when I ping Google in terminal I get an average of 400ms whereas it ranges from 40 - 90 on my other computers which are running Windows 7.

What could be the problem? I have tried resetting the router but clearly it is not the issue, I also tried rebooting the MacBook and using CleanMyMac to no avail. Does anyone have any idea why this could be the case? I am going to install Windows on Boot Camp and see how the Mac treats the connection there.

Thanks guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What could be the problem? I have tried resetting the router but clearly it is not the issue, I also tried rebooting the MacBook and using CleanMyMac to no avail. Does anyone have any idea why this could be the case? I am going to install Windows on Boot Camp and see how the Mac treats the connection there.

First thing to do is get rid of "CleanMyMac". It, like other so - called cleaners does not work and can actually harm your MacBook Pro by removing things that are needed.

Second, check your DNS settings in System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS tab. Sometimes ISP provided DNS servers are not adequate enough (fast enough) to translate the named address to an IP address that your machine understands. Windows seems to do a much better job at this than OS X; at least that has been my experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.