Oxs 10.8.3

Reaction score
I was very happy using my HP Photosmart C4750 wireless printer with my MacBook Pro until I upgraded to 10.8.3

Then my printer quit working wirelessly. I contacted HP as I suspected something was wrong with the printer connecting to my server and was told this printer would not work wirelessly with 10.8.3. I ended up having to buy a new printer, HP 5520 I believe, and it works fine.

I am disappointed with Mac for upgrades, changing their software forcing uses to purchase new equipment. One plus in this whole issue is, I am able to print wirelessly from both my iPhone and iPad. But I had to spend over $100.00 to do that.

C

chas_m

You were not forced to purchase new equipment. You could have simply rolled back to your previous 10.8.2 using Time Machine. Also, the name of the company that makes your computer is Apple, and they are not to blame for anything: it is HP's responsibility to update their drivers in a timely fashion. And now, you have just rewarded HP for making their printer drivers obsolete -- so you can expect this problem to pop up again someday, since there's clearly no incentive for them to continue to update their drivers.

If I had been in your shoes I would have written an email to their complaints department saying that the next time this happens you're going to buy from one of their competitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And woolieone if you think HP is bad never ever buy a Lexmark!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am disappointed with Mac for upgrades, changing their software forcing uses to purchase new equipment.

As has been pointed out, it's not Apple's responsibility to make sure that peripheral devices (your HP printer) will work when OS X has been updated. That's HP's responsibility. And... if you would have asked for help of our forums, chances are we could have helped you to get it working wirelessly once more.

OP
W
Reaction score
Software

Thanks for all the replays. You are all correct, if I had an issue with upgrades I should have taken my complaint to HP. I have since done that.

I do have another question on another matter. Is Parallels for Mac a good program or is it something else you don't need and will it screw up other programs? Their claims are almost too good to be true and therefore hard to believe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do have another question on another matter. Is Parallels for Mac a good program or is it something else you don't need and will it screw up other programs? Their claims are almost too good to be true and therefore hard to believe.

Parallels is a good program and so is VMWare Fusion. Both programs as you know will allow you to run Windows or another OS (Linux for example) in a virtual machine without having to reboot. There is also a free program called VirtualBox by Oracle which accomplishes the same thing. It's not as frills and fancy as Parallels or Fusion but in most cases will do the job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.