Mac File Storage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I am transferring files to my new Mac and would appreciate some help to understand the Mac system with regard to file storage.
For example, I have my photos on a hard drive and they are filed in various folders for 2005, 2006 etc. Should I transfer these folders into iPhoto library or just leave them in the Pictures folder in Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can do it any way you please. You don't HAVE to use iPhoto, especially if there's another photo viewing app you prefer. iPhoto does offer the ability to categorize and sort your photos to a much greater degree, but it takes some time to really get a grasp on how it works.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Organization is up to you (as lifeisabeach said). One thing to note is that if you do use an app to organize your content (such as iPhoto or iTunes), it will organize your content for you. That bothers some people so I thought I'd just point that out to you in case.

C

chas_m

In fact iPhoto organizes photos internally pretty much the same way you do (by year, then month, then day, then specific hours if there is more than one in a day).

The concept a lot of people can't seem to grasp is that it really doesn't matter how iPhoto organizes photos internally, it can show them to you pretty much any way you can imagine you might want them. The idea here is to the let the computer do the micro-management so you can focus on the things that are really important about photos: making them look their best, finding them and sharing them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.