Install CD Restarting help

Reaction score
First of all, hi from a newbie in the UK :)

And here’s my problem-

I've forgotten my password, and have got sick of trying to guess what it is.
So, I have elected to use “Install CD” method to re set my password. But before I go ahead and do this there’s a few points I want to know:-

Is there a chance I could wipe anything from my machine by using this method? Does it make the computer perform a factory re-set?

If I make a mistake at any stage in the process, are there any risks I could screw my laptop up?

And my biggest fear is that I will end up locking myself out of my computer, and unable to use it somehow. (with my nature of work that would be very, very, very bad) Can that happen?

Sorry, I really am clueless with this.

Two more points:

My machine is a 2011 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard which is working with no problems (I hope).

I have both a “Mac OS X Install DVD” and an “Applications Install DVD”, which came with my laptop. Which one should I use?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've never done it before, but no, you won't lose your files, at least as long as you do it properly. You should at least make a backup of any important files you simply can't risk losing, though you should be doing that already. Here's a tutorial on a couple ways to do it. One is a sneaky way of doing it without using an install disk. If you do use an install disk, then use the “Mac OS X Install DVD”.

Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest using your CD. Terminal is pretty powerful magic if you are not familiar with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.