ICare

Reaction score
HI

Just bought an IPad mini and I love it. At the store the salesman was insisting quite a bit for me to go for ICare witch I declined. Anyway I got 30 day's to make up my mind.

He told me if Apple would come up with a new IPad mini, I only would have to show up at the store, return mine and Apple would give me a new IPad mini.

Was he trying to make some quick money or is it true ??

Thank you for your answers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, perhaps "iCare" is a 3rd party warranty program, and if that's true, then I have no idea what coverage it offers... but I would be shocked if it allowed you to replace your iPad when a new model comes out.

"AppleCare" is Apple's extended warranty program - and no, they won't replace your iPad if they come up with a newer version. However, if it proves to be defective, they will likely replace it. Perhaps you misunderstood the sales person.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
C

chas_m

Assuming this "iCare" is a third-party "insurance" policy, I think you were smart to decline it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would go for AppleCare+. It will cover drops and water damage with a 50 dollar deductable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that Apple Care + has to be purchased at the same time you buy your iPhone or iPad. Buying it later (within 30 days) requires that you bring the iPhone or iPad to Apple for an inspection of the device before they'll issue Apple Care +.

Reaction score
I got mine at Bestbuy and got their 3 year warranty for same price as Applecare which is only 2 years.

C

chas_m

I got mine at Bestbuy and got their 3 year warranty for same price as Applecare which is only 2 years.

Yes, but whether BestBuy will give you the same level of service on an actual claim is a VERY open question.

Heck, it's even an open question if Best Buy will *still be around* in three years. Remember Circuit City? BB is on similarly shaky ground.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point by chas. Although I have cashed in on the Best Buy warranty several times myself, I no longer trust them. It's not just that they may go "belly up", it's the level of ability of their repair service which I do not trust. Real Apple care is the best warranty you can buy for your Apple devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.