Should I replace my outdated Macbook with and iPad?

Reaction score
I have a white Macbook (circa 2007). I mostly use it for internet browsing, listening to music, light photo and video editing, and some word processing. Now, there are many things I really like about this computer, however there are a few huge issues that are NOT working for me.

1. Small hard drive
It only has 80 gb, and does not have nearly enough room.

2. Old OS
It's Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, and I can't get any good applications or updates with it. Not even Spotify or Chrome.

3. Battery is old
The charge doesn't last long

So, I've done some research, and I think I have three possible solutions. But, I'm not sure which one is the best to go with.

1. Upgrade the hard drive and OS, but have to use all the time, energy, and some money to figure out how to do that and reconfigure it all. And I really have been wanting an iPad, so that leads me to -

2. Sell the Macbook and get an iPad, and use my mom's computer as my main computer. It's an iMac with the latest OS, and a giant hard drive.

3. Sell Macbook and get a desktop of my own and iPad.

Would getting an iPad be worth it? Now, I'm on a super tight budget, so I can't go out and buy the latest. If anyone had some insight on this, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm saying no. We've had many a thread/discussion on why an iPad is not a replacement for a laptop.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sell Macbook and get a desktop of my own and iPad.

This is what I did over a year ago and it has worked out well for us. We do quite a bit of traveling around to various places and chose an iPad with cellular capability (Verizon model). As long as you don't need the full capabilities of a portable computer when away from home, an iPad works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
You would be looking at about $ 200

about 50 in a hard drive
Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus 5400 250GB 5400RPM SATA 3Gb/s 8MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal NB Hard Drive ST9250315AS-Bare Drive (Amazon Frustration-Free Packaging): Electronics

another 55 in ram
Amazon.com: Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300) CL5 SODIMM 200-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT25664AC667: Electronics

and then another 25 in a battery.
Amazon.com: Laptop Battery for Select Apple MacBooks: Computers & Accessories

Then you have to buy lion for about 70 , the latest that mac will run is lion.
apple mac os x 10.7 lion install usb flash drive

If you think you need a computer then you will be putting about 200 in your macbook.

I would personally sell your macbook and get an iPad, it all depends on what you are wanting and needing it for.

C

chas_m

iPad + keyboard (or keyboard case) might work well for you, but while the iPad is amazing it does have some limitations over notebooks. As long as you're aware of them, and still want to use the iPad, I say go for it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That sounds like a Late 2007 Macbook like I have. My 80GB drive was running low so I bought a 320GB from Amazon like rabbitjetta suggested. I tried a WD but the SATA 3 on the WD did not step down properly with the 1.5SATA in the Macbook and it was jerky and paused a lot. The Seagate is great and fast.

I also upgraded to 4GB RAM. Machine runs Lion very well but Lion is going to be hard to get as it's not for sale on the App Store.

Reaction score
I have an older White (2007) MacBook too. I have upgraded to an SSD, and put Snow Leopard on it. (At the time, it was only $39.99 or something like that). I keep thinking about adding more RAM, and I even have already purchased 4 GB of RAM, but have not installed it, as I have seen no need yet. I have Spotify and Chrome on my MacBook. But I did not try to get them from the App Store. I just googled for them and installed them.

Also, be aware that since your #1 complaint was:
1. Small hard drive
It only has 80 gb, and does not have nearly enough room.

The largest amount of storage on an iPad is 64 GB. Also, you can upgrade the hard drive in your laptop, but the iPad has absolutely no option to increase the storage capacity. On a limited budget, I would upgrade and keep the MacBook. You might also check Apple's refurb store to see if a little older iPad is affordable for you right now. Later, "when your boat comes in", get the 64 GB with Cellular and WIFI. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A 16 GB IPAD! For your usage, (music & pictures) it would fill up too quickly, and your money would be wasted.

EDIT: I have also bought a 256 GB SSD that I have not yet installed. There was a great sale ($135.00 & free shipping) that I just could not pass up.

Reaction score
Update:

I had nothing better to do at the moment, so I put that larger SSD and the 4 GB RAM into my old 2007 White MacBook. While I was at it, I also took the MacBook apart to see if the cooling fan was clogged with dust, and if the processor and video chip had "cooked" the thermal grease. (This happens frequently on some laptops.

To my surprise, there was no dust at all, (this is almost a 6 year old laptop) and the thermal grease was still um... greasy. Also, a clean install of Snow Leopard took about a half hour, I imported my files and programs using an Apricorn SATA Wire to connect the old SSD, and updating OSX to 10.6.8 was also quick. In less than 2 hours, I was back to where I was before I started this process. Try to clean-install a Windows computer that quickly!!

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I have the 2007 MacBook in black. The screen is blinking in and out and it was making me crazy. I just got a iPad yesterday so I will see how it goes with work. Most everything is on the web and in my email. I have some applications that I need to do in word and excel, but I can do those at home.. I am never sure if there will be no need for a laptop. I also did upgrade my Mac over the years with new ram and hd. It's the screen that was the deal killer, in need to keep moving it around to get it to stay on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.