Triple Booting OS X, Windows 7 Using BootCamp and Ubuntu 12.10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 21.5" i5 2.8ghz OS X 10.8
Hey Guys,

I have a Intel 2012 imac running OS X dual booting Windows 7 using BootCamp. I wish to install Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04 on this. I have rEFit installed. Please no "just use VirtualBox" replies as i need real hardware for an upcoming video project.

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are a myriad of threads regarding triple booting your Mac using rEFIt. Here's one that is pretty good and of all places, can be found in the Ubuntu forums:

LINK

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The YouTUbe video that guide linked to was helpful but it required me to delete my existing windows 7 partition. I have important data and setting on there that i don't want to loose. So my question is that if i created a image backup of this and then restored it would it work the same?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, that should work. WinClone can make an image and restore it for you, however, the app is no longer free. $19.99 to register. LINK

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks Great! I am out all day today at a horse show but i will try it tomorrow and report my success (or failure) here.

Reaction score
Best Method

The YouTUbe video that guide linked to was helpful but it required me to delete my existing windows 7 partition. I have important data and setting on there that i don't want to loose. So my question is that if i created a image backup of this and then restored it would it work the same?

Thanks,

If you add an Ubuntu partition, winclone will NOT let you restore from your backup, because you windows partition has shifted up to 5th (apple requires the Bootcamp partition to be within the first 4 partitions, so winlcone follows that).

try this video, no need for refit, and you can keep ur initial bootcamp partition:

Part 1; Triple Boot your Mac wihtout rEFIt/rEFInd - YouTube

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.