Connect iPhone to MacBookPro via WiFi internet sharing

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a real novice but have spent a lot of time looking at this stuff and am completely baffled--it seems solvable though.
I am studying abroad in Europe and my dorm room comes equipped with ethernet. As part of my orientation materials I got a packet with my internet info (i.p. address range, subnet mask, router i.p., DNS servers, and search domains). Since I wasn't able to connect to the internet using DHCP I just plugged all this info in manually. This worked great, my internet is fast and reliable.
The problem comes when I try internet sharing with my iPhone; it has no problem finding the network and even connecting to it, but I can't access the internet (it just times out after a while). This problem occurs using DHCP or a static i.p. on the iPhone. My thinking is that I could get on using a static i.p. if I only knew what addresses to use.
Any ideas or pushes in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Many educational establishments prevent more than a single device connecting, so will only issue a single IP to a single port. There's nothing wrong with the process you're going through I suspect it's a network restriction.

I'd contact campus tech support in the first instance. Perhaps they'll permit using an Airport Express, TP Link mini router or similar to create your own wifi hotspot

OP
P
Reaction score
That does seem like what is going on, but many of my friends in the exact same scenario aren't running into this problem. However, when they configured their internet using DHCP it worked.
My ethernet port actually has a range of 7 IP addresses, so I have been trying to assign a second one in that range to the iPhone. I am just not certain what to put for the other fields, especially the router IP. The subnet mask, DNS, and search domains should be the same as the laptop, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes, they should be the same. But then again, DHCP should work too!

Again, I think it's worth raising the DHCP issue with tech support. They may just need to reset your connection settings to default. Perhaps they were tweaked for a previous occupant?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.