Deleted home folder

Reaction score
So I have an older MacBook 10.4. The backup program would popup every day and I was trying to stop it from reoccurring every single time I turned on my computer. When it popped up I selected the home folder and clicked remove (thinking it would stop the backup process every day) and it deleted my home folder. Now I'm left with no settings and the screen looks like it does with a new user account. All of my files and programs are functional that I've checked (I have all my files backed up on a hard external hard drive as well). Is there any way to restore my home folder back to how it was? I don't think I have a backed up version of the actual home folder. Also, all my music is on my computer but not in iTunes anymore and if I try to put songs back in it it says my hard drive is full. I'm not terribly concerned with losing settings but I need all my music back in iTunes as I DJ. Please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you emptied the trash if no it should be there if yes then I believe its gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
???? "the backup program" is what? Time Machine?

The Remove button you hit was part of the unnamed program, correct?

In Finder, it is nearly impossible to delete my Home folder (OS 10.5.8).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Somehow I doubt this was done within the Finder. It takes multiple steps and then I believe will only work if there is another administrator account. Here is the way it works in 10.8.2 and I think it has been this way for quite a while.

1. Open System Preferences and select Users and Groups (Accounts). You may be asked for an admin password.
2. Select the account to be deleted and click the - sign.
3. A dialog sheet appears with three choices: save the folder contents to disc image, essentially do nothing, or delete.

As you can see there are safeguards in place so that this does not occur accidentally in Finder. If this was done from within Finder this article might help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.