Clamshell Mode Performance Issues: A Myth?

I.M.O.G.

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
A while back, I remember hearing a theory floating around that running a Mac in clamshell mode forced OS X to throttle the processor to save on heat. There is a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence to support such a claim (here)which ultimately suggests that something about clamshell mode might be slowing down the performance of the machine. As someone who runs his machine in clamshell mode quite frequently (the compulsive neat freak in me loves that it saves me space on my desk), I decided to put this to the test

... Return to article to continue reading.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice work there and quite timely for me. I may be purchasing a new Mac in the near future depending upon whet happens with the Mac Pro line. If I do that I'll probably turn the MacBook Pro into a media machine, connect it to the TV, and run in clamshell mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
what about wifi,when i use clamshell mode my wifi drops sometimes i cant even connect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
what about wifi,when i use clamshell mode my wifi drops sometimes i cant even connect.

Interesting. Do remember the WiFi Antenna is usually in the LCD Lid. When it's all the way down like that maybe it's shielding it in a way and lowering WiFi signal reception strength. Only thing I can think of this late! :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use my MBP almost exclusively in clamshell mode at home and I don't have a problem with network connectivity. Is it only in clamshell mode that this happens?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

The antenna for the airport card is located in the lid along with the LCD and various cables. Have you recently changed out your LCD? Any disturbing or moving of the antenna wires can cause poor reception - especially when the lid is closed.

Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
My 2006 MacBook (that is now retired and will be sold along with other macs very soon)

Is too slow to even use in Clamshell mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.