Running Ubuntu 12.10 on my mac mini 2012 model

Reaction score
Okay so I have the ubuntu on a cd as of now and I tested it out to see if it loads for trying it out and it does work. I want to have it load from a jump drive since it will be faster that way with the usb 3.0 What is the easiest way to install the ubuntu os onto the jump drive? Also once its loaded up my trackpad doesn't work and my usb mouse doesn't load how can I get those to work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you wanting to run Ubuntu as a dual boot along with OS X? Not sure I understand what you're trying to do with the USB flash drive?

You can always run Ubuntu in a virtual machine on your Mini. That's what I would recommend. And since VirtualBox is free and Ubuntu is free, what is there to lose? Download VirtualBox from here.

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
Okay I will try that out. But once I get ubuntu loaded will I be able to use my trackpad and wireless keyboard or do I have to use a usb keyboard and usb mouse?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to use the wireless keyboard and mouse as per normal. Once you install the "Guest" utilities for VirtualBox, drivers for everything should also be installed. It would be a good idea to have a wired USB keyboard and mouse handy, just in case.

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
Yup they worked great. I got virtual box installed and I selected the ubuntu 12.10 iso that was on my desktop. I might have to make the ram more then 512 cause it was pretty slow lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.