4GB RAM Enough for Latest MBA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV
I'm buying the latest 13" MPA, 128GB SSD (Which I will upgrade later to a higher SSD capacity through OWC), but I was wondering is the 4GB of RAM really enough? Since it can't be upgraded later, I was thinking maybe I should just go with the 8GB but that will cost me. A friend told me that the 4GB is already fast enough, since it's also runs on SSD.
So should I go for the 4GB or save up and get the 8GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The latest MacBook Airs use flash storage just like what's in an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. You cannot upgrade to a different SSD later.
Get the most storage and RAM you can afford because there's no increasing either later on down the road.

You might find a previous gen MBA in the refurbished store and those you can change out the SSD.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So should I go for the 4GB or save up and get the 8GB?

You would probably be fine with 4gig for a while. But if you plan on keeping it more than 2 years...I would really get the 8gig. 8gig will also be a MUCH more attractive selling point when it comes time to sell it.

The 8gig upgrade is only $100 extra...just get it...you won't be disappointed!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have the mid 2011 MBA (not MPA) with 4 GB RAM.

I'd say get 8 - forget you ever heard about 4.

4 is not enough with Mail, Firefox and Safari open at the same time.

edit:
Below is a screen shot taken right after I made this post showing the amount of free memory currently.

Screen Shot 2013-04-04 at 7.03.36 PM.png

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air I iPhone 5 I iPad mini I iPod Classic I iPod nano I Apple TV
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would go for 8gb of ram. You want something that will be fast for a long period of time. And yes, you can upgrade the SSD in the new MacBook airs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As pointed out above, the MacBook Air Flash storage can be updated, however, it's expensive to do - but can be done. Other World Computing sells the replacement Flash storage and has instructions on how to replace it.

Replacement flash storage for the new Retina machines as of right now is not available. I'm not sure if flash storage on the retina machines is soldered in or mounted through a connector like the ones in the MacBook Air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As pointed out above, the MacBook Air Flash storage can be updated, however, it's expensive to do - but can be done. Other World Computing sells the replacement Flash storage and has instructions on how to replace it.

Replacement flash storage for the new Retina machines as of right now is not available. I'm not sure if flash storage on the retina machines is soldered in or mounted through a connector like the ones in the MacBook Air.

Correct. I was only addressing the SSD question. It sounded like the OP was only interested in an SSD and that wouldn't work with the new MBA. But I guess I should have offered up the option of upgradable flash storage.

If OP has his/her heart set on a "SSD", get last gen MBA. If OP doesn't mind extra expense and difficulty of upgrading "flash storage", get a new MBA.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.