AppleCare Protection Plan

Reaction score
I am buying a new iMAC do you think that it's worth the $140 CAD to extended the warrenty. Are problems common or will I be fine with the normal warrenty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Well, let's see. My logic board was recently fried, as was my 1 gig stick of RAM, and my SuperDrive malfunctioned.

That totalled nearly $1000. But because it was under warranty, I basically got a totally new computer.

B

BoingoBongo

I ordered a new iMac last week and got Apple care with it. I hope I never need it, but it's nice to know it's there.

If you want to make it easier on your wallet, you don't have to get AppleCare right when you order the computer. You can order it anytime within the first year (although I think it's better to order it sometime in the first 90 days).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
is there a price difference when you order it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no its still the same but will you really miss $140 over 3 years........thought not just get it for security :)

B

BoingoBongo

I don't normally buy them, but when it comes to something as expensive as a new computer, it seems smart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
inflexion said:
no its still the same but will you really miss $140 over 3 years........thought not just get it for security :)

can you please expalin, what will i miss

Reaction score
We normally don't to extended warranties either but since we are so new to Mac we're thinking about it. That and I purchased an iMac Intel Duo which seems to have a ton of little bugs and problems that haven't been ironed out yet.

B

BoingoBongo

It's not that it has a ton of bugs, it's just that when I'm spending that much money I figure it's worth it to spend a little more and protect myself from problems/accidents in the future. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
ya the protection plan is like 5% of the cost of the imac i just bought, plus i'm also a new mac owner and dont have much expetice with computers in general let alone macs, so the protection plan seemed like a steal to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
11213 said:
can you please expalin, what will i miss

$140/3 years

$46.67 a year what im saying is that wont really miss out on something by buying the apple care

K

killer_bites

mynameis said:
I never buy extended warranties.

I do not usually, but it seems every mac in our office (mine also) has required apple to fix something.

A one year iBook logic board seems to cost near £800!! My powerbook is now suffering from the lower memory bank failure - but luckily - 1) Im now covered and 2) They have finally bitten the bullet and admitted to it - now i just need to find the time to get it to someone to fix it!! I dread to think how much that would cost...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.