Macbook pro no video

Reaction score
Hi to all, i'm Fab from italy.
I have a problem with my macbook pro late 2009.
I can start the nb but i cannot see anything on the diaplay, only audio.
I tought it was the problem regarding the invidia chipset, i tried to cook it but nothing happened, only audio again but video is dark.

Maybe the lcd went wrong? I never tryed to connect it by vga miniport to tv, could be a right check before buying the lcd panel??

Thanks a lot for all yr help

Fab

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You need to isolate the problem before buying parts. The best way to find out if it's the logic board (GPU) or the LCD display itself, is to attach an external monitor or TV to your MBP. If you're getting video to the external monitor, you can assume that the logic board is OK.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks, can u suggest how to connect mac to external monitor or tv? Which adaptor do i need to buy?
Thanks for yr answere!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have a late 2009 MacBook Pro. So you will need a Mini Display Port adapter of the correct type and cable that matches the input to your TV or monitor. For example: VGA, DVI, or HDMI.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, i found that my mac is working on a tv with display port.
I read about a cale connector that link logicboard to lcd, how to understand if is that cable broken or the lcd panel??

Thank yu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it could be a video cable connecting the logic board to the LCD display panel that might be broken or came loose. Can you see anything at all on the LCD display? Hold a flashlight to the screen; can you see anything?

The reason I ask is because the backlight could have failed. The backlighting on your model MBP is LED driven. Of course it could also be a bad LCD panel. You need to determine which is bad before spending money on repairs.

Go to this website in the US: iFixit: The free repair manual It shows the parts and how to repair your MBP.

OP
F
Reaction score
Let me understand. You mena to point a flashlight to my lcd during startup and if i can see a dark apple it means that the led driven has loose and the cable is ok.
If not lcd panel goes wrong??
Right??
Thank
Ps .. Can u pm me?

OP
F
Reaction score
Yeahhhh, if i point a flash light to the lcd panel i can see apple logo and all the desktop, it means the backlight fuse has gone....right?

How to repair it???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that means the display panel is OK and the graphics is OK. It's the backlight which has failed. Since the backlight on your MBP is LED, I'm not sure what the fix is for it. It could still be a bad cable or connection from the LED panel to the display. Might be time to take it to an authorized Apple repair service and have them look at it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Aarg, i ve been there 2 times they would replace the logic board for 1300€... A little expensive.
Do you think is possible to bypass wled to check if is reallly that chip? Before buying a cable..

OP
F
Reaction score
Update: i found one of the problem....as attached, do someone think that something could be done?

attachment.php

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which cable and connector is that? Can you identify it by going to the ifixit web site? iFixit: The free repair manual

I'm sorry I can't tell which one it is from your attached photo.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand it's the connector on the logic board.... What I'm asking is which one is it? That's why I suggested looking at the breakdown at the ifixit web site so it can be identified.

Generally, if a connector on the logic board (mother board) is damaged, the entire logic board must be replaced. That would be a very expensive repair as you already found out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Okok...thanks, is the Lvds connector on the mb. I have found it on ebay but not on ifixit.
The point is that i will try to fix it without changing board...that is the last expensive thing i m gonna do...

So good luck to me -:) and thanks for the suggestions for now

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The point is that i will try to fix it without changing board...that is the last expensive thing i m gonna do...

Like chscag already mentioned. If the connector on the motherboard is not good (broken)...there really is no way to repair it. The only reasonable solution is to replace the motherboard.

On an older computer...replacing the motherboard is generally not a great solution financially...since the cost of the replacement motherboard can in many cases...be a significant percentage of the total value of the computer.

So basically...unless someone can get a very low cost replacement motherboard...the money spent on the replacement motherboard would be better spent on a new or newer computer.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.