Microsoft User Data [MUD]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4; 1.5 DDR SDRAM; 15"
Hey guys,

I've done some searching, and I've found how to move this folder from the documents folder to the user app preference folder.

My issue is that I'm on a 120gb SSD drive, and my MUD folder is close to 14gb—taking up significant space that I need for scratch discs for large photoshop files and such.

Is there a way for me to actually move the MUD folder to my other HHD drive without having to rebuild my account/etc? I essentially want to move it there to free up that space on the SSD drive where applications/system stuff lives, to where documents/backups live.

I may just be missing it, but I haven't found a good way of doing it, and I know some smart hacky mac user who hates microsof and the fact that it stores that information without allowing you to adjust where it stores it, has figured out how to make it work.

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

Side note: I did try doing a symlink, but I think I must've done something wrong, and ended up having to rebuild and somehow lost about 3wks of emails. I'm willing to try that again, I guess I just didn't have good instructions.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No way that I know of. Microsoft User Data must be on the same drive (partition) as Office. Symlink won't work. It's a sticky problem when using a SSD that's not large enough. You didn't tell us which Mac you have but assuming it's a MBA or one of the retina machines, not much you can do about increasing drive size. (Other World Computing does have replacement drives for the MBA but they're expensive.)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4; 1.5 DDR SDRAM; 15"
Yes. It's a MBP - Not Retina.

I'm hopping there is a hack way. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.