Subfolders, Files Not Showing Up in "Open" and "Place" Windows

Reaction score
At times, when trying to open a file through various programs or to place a file in a program such as Photoshop or as an attachment to an email, I am unable to view any of the subfolders or files on my hard drive when the "Open" or "Place" pop up windows come up. I will see the list of "Favorites" on the left side of the pop up window, but when I click on any of those nothing happens.
I've had this problem with multiple (but not all) programs installed on my hard drive and with online email programs such as Yahoo, that won't let me select files to attach to messages.
Sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas for how to remedy this? The good old-fashioned restart did nothing and I've been unable to find any preference setting that would explain it.
If it matters, I'm using a MacBook Pro with 10.7.5
Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you clicking the little arrow next to the open or save as box?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.