Hijacked iCloud Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 MacBook Pro 13" i7 8GB 750GB
Hey, I have some pretty weird stuff going on with my iCloud Mail. I got a text yesterday from a friend that said I sent a link to him with email, and wanted to know what it was; but I haven't sent any links to anyone. Later that day, out of curiosity I checked my outbox - but no trace of any strange emails there but when I checked my secondary email account I noticed that there was a strange link sent from my iCloud Mail address.

I wouldn't dare click the link, because at the time I was using my new Mac and I didn't want to take any chances with viruses or whatever. What I don't get is why this hasn't happened to anybody I know who also has iCloud, and I would never give away any personal details (Such as passwords etc.).

How has somebody got into my account, and what are they using it for? I changed my iCloud password anyway, but I'm worried because it is linked to my iTunes which is in turn linked to my bank account.

I need answers! Thanks in advance, Jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Change your password and security questions to your apple ID and I would recommend turning on two step verification.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will do now, thanks for the advice :)

But I would still like to know why strange email(s) were sent, and if this is a widespread issue. It seems no more odd emails are being sent from my account, and everything looks as if it never occured.

Once again, thanks a ton!
Jack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's just someone who guessed your email account password (or faked enough details on the phone to get customer support to change it for them). The only thing you can do is make it a difficult one to guess and if that email account has security questions like "What was your first car?" make the answer something weird like "A crayon".

P.S. Read this article on wired.com LINK. Warning: it might make you paranoid.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, it looks like Apple need to up their security! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks, it looks like Apple need to up their security! ;)

It has nothing to do with Apple. It has nothing to do with Google or Hotmail or Yahoo! either. It's a problem with the password and how easy it is to guess and circumvent security questions.

Did you even read the article? :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.