Minimizing Leopard for single-layer DVD

Reaction score
Okay, this is driving me nuts.

All I have are single-layer media and I need to get this done. So I'm following various guides to get Leopard onto a single-layer disk.

When all is said and done, the Leopard source image is 4.3gb and the Leopard destination image is 4.4gb. There's approximately 80mb difference between the two.

However, when using the Restore feature to copy the source to the destination, I get Error -34 No Space Left On Device.

How does that make sense?

On the Source image I deleted:

Language Packs
Printer Drivers
Remote Install
Developer Tools

I don't understand how there can be no available space on the destination image when it's physically larger than the source image...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
All I have are single-layer media and I need to get this done. So I'm following various guides to get Leopard onto a single-layer disk.

When all is said and done, the Leopard source image is 4.3gb and the Leopard destination image is 4.4gb. There's approximately 80mb difference between the two.

I do not believe that duplication of original retail Mac OS install disks is authorized!

Thus there is no issue...you shouldn't be doing it!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You are allowed to make a backup copy (from the Leopard softweare license agreement

F. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code and other Apple firmware that is embedded or otherwise contained in Apple- branded hardware) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Apple Boot ROM code and firmware is provided only for use on Apple-branded hardware and you may not copy, modify or redistribute the Apple Boot ROM code or firmware, or any portions thereof.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't answer your question about the source image but wouldn't it be easier to just put it on a flash drive? (Actually, the original Leopard DVD is on dual layer media.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lash out on some DL DVDs assuming of course your Mac is fitted with a DL burner. Apple System profiler (About this Mac) will tell you under Disc Burning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.