Accessing an encrypted Disk Image (sparseimage) from command line

Reaction score
Is it possible to access an encrypted Disk Image from the command line in single user mode? My hard drive has been having problems lately, and I have not been able to boot my MBP up for about a week.

People at the Apple Store say it's corrupted, and I am resigned to getting a new hard drive no big deal. But I am grabbing some important files from the command line in single user mode, and can see my disk image (sparseimage) by getting to the directory, and using ls to see all files in directory.

I am wondering if I can actually get into my disk image somehow. I have the password. Or would I be able to copy the whole image to a flash drive? I have one that's big enough to hold the whole image. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
Figured it out. In case anyone else runs into this problem, and searches for it:

hdiutil mount /Users/Documents/WhereeverItIsStored/Name.sparseimage

will mount the sparseimage (after prompting for password) and you can do whatever you want with the enclosed files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Glad you got a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.