Wifi issue... a real stumper

Reaction score
Hi there, kind folks of the Mac Forums.

I am not a Mac newb, though I'm not a know-it-all, either, and this issue I'm having eludes me and other more experienced Mac people. I'm hoping someone here might have some insight. Here are the facts:

* I share the wifi and cost with the other people in my building (a 3-floor house), meaning that when I'm home, I use the same wifi when I'm using my computer, iPhone and Roku.

* This wifi account ALWAYS works on my iPhone and Roku. But sometimes (like right now) my MacBook will not allow me to connect to this particular wifi account. It WILL allow me to connect to other wifi accounts (say, if I go to a coffee shop or a friend's house where I have their wifi password, or even to wifi accounts near me that don't require a password).

* When the laptop does not allow me to connect, it will show the wifi account in the Airport dropdown menu, but when I try to access it with the password, it just spins and then eventually says "Connection Timeout".

* The laptop has picked up and used this wifi for weeks on end with no problems whatsoever. But sometimes, inexplicably, it will simply not allow me to use it. Then, just as inexplicably, it will work fine again (even when I don't fiddle with the settings or anything at all). (But it hasn't started working again yet this time and it's now been 3 days of this.) Meanwhile, nobody else in the building has any problem.

* I've been here since Dec. 2012, and this inability to connect has occurred a handful of times since then (though usually, I have no problem).

* It is ONLY my laptop that refuses to connect to this particular wifi account. All other laptops, smart phones, Roku, what-have-yous in the building (and in my apartment) work just fine with the wifi (including my roommate's MacBook -- a slightly newer version of the one that I have -- which never has any issue with this wifi).

* I also want to mention again that my laptop WILL allow me to use other wifi accounts, even when it refuses to allow this one (but, of course, what I truly need is high-speed internet connection in my home, since one of my jobs requires working from home).

* The internet provider is TimeWarner, which was what I had in my old apartment and it worked perfectly (it's also what everyone else in this dang city uses and I can access all other wifi accounts I've tried).

* I have tried many things, including removing the wifi account from Network preferences AND the Keychain Access, and then attempting to connect again to the wifi account, to no avail.

I am supremely frustrated. Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks so much in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
What model MacBook? What wi-fi standards does it support (802.11a/b/g/n)? Ditto for the router.

Is there any chance this problem occurs when in specific areas of the house? Perhaps you are working in an area of the house with a greater amount of signal degradation, and the others don't experience it because they don't go into that area?

More likely than not, your best solution may be to get a wi-fi extender to improve the signal strength. You may also need to look at possible sources of wi-fi interference. There's another thread where someone had some issues with his wireless signals. I suggest reading that over and the links/tips provided to see if anything there may help.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/in...yet-another-wifi-signal-problem-question.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.