GPU Assigning

Reaction score
I have an early 2011 MBP with an ATI Radeon HD 6750M GPU. I noticed that if I go to "About This Mac" it reports the Graphics as the built-in Intel HD 3000. I was wondering if this is normal, and if I play 3D games will they use the Intel or will they know to use the ATI? I've been experiencing some lag and wondered if this was the issue (I assumed that the hardware forum would be the right place). I could be totally on the wrong track and maybe the Intel is just the display driver whereas the ATI performs all of the GPU tasks. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an early 2011 MBP with an ATI Radeon HD 6750M GPU. I noticed that if I go to "About This Mac" it reports the Graphics as the built-in Intel HD 3000.

Your MBP has dual graphics processors. The HD 3000 is for less demanding graphics tasks...and the 6750m is for more demanding tasks. The computer switches automatically between the two depending on what it's being asked to do.

The other purpose of the dual graphics hardware setup is...the HD 3000 is less energy demanding...allowing for more runtime when running off battery power.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.