Future iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
AppleInsider

They were right in November. Maybe they're right now. I can understand the iSight, I imagine they want that in every product, (with a screen at least), and it's already in the consumer desktop.

<discuss>

Reaction score
I hope that the next revision brings intel processors. Since there are so many people that are hestiant to switch to the intel processors, I think that being one of the last revisions to the PPC iBooks will help mine hold its value. :)

OP
Pierre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there's no doubt it will have intel processors, and most likely the core solo too. to differentiate from the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
It seems like it would be hard to see the ibook's screen from 15 feet away if it had front row on it.... I hope apple doesn't discontinue the 14" ibook.

OP
Pierre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still though, frontrow is more than just movies.
I wouldnt' be able to live without the remote for my radio..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Combine the 12" and the 14" into one, the 13.3" That makes the most sense...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Here's hoping it's of a higher resolution. 1024x768 seems like to little when compared to the Powerbook...

Also, I think it'll probably be marketed as the "mBook" (full name being Mac Book, in vien of the iBook naming scheme, which stood for "Internet Book" [at least that's what the "i" stood for in "iMac"]).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
to_tough_to_die said:
Also, I think it'll probably be marketed as the "mBook" (full name being Mac Book, in vien of the iBook naming scheme, which stood for "Internet Book" [at least that's what the "i" stood for in "iMac"]).

And the iMac is still called the iMac, even with its new Intel processor. So, why would they change the name of the iBook?
They changed the PowerBook because the "Power" part was originally derived from the PowerPC processor. The MacBook does not have a PowerPC in it, and since they are still selling PowerPC PowerBooks, it only made sense to change the name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
D3v1L80Y said:
And the iMac is still called the iMac, even with its new Intel processor. So, why would they change the name of the iBook?
They changed the PowerBook because the "Power" part was originally derived from the PowerPC processor. The MacBook does not have a PowerPC in it, and since they are still selling PowerPC PowerBooks, it only made sense to change the name.

Actually the "Power" didn't come from the PowerPC processor, the first PowerBook's used pre-PowerPC's.

The "Power" would probably be attributed to it being for the "power-user" who needed the processing power, the "book" being from Jobs' dream of having a Mac in a book (what he originally wanted with the Macintosh Portable).

The only reason is that Apple felt that they needed the Mac name in their products, and now they have an excuse to, as the MacBook Pro really is a completely new computer. This is the reason the iMac name went unchanged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
to_tough_to_die said:
The "Power" would probably be attributed to it being for the "power-user" who needed the processing power, the "book" being from Jobs' dream of having a Mac in a book (what he originally wanted with the Macintosh Portable).

[History Lesson]

Just to add to the history lesson here, you were right above, but the Powerbook was not originally Jobs idea. It was a holdover from John Scully, the CEO who booted jobs back in the 80s. His idea was dubbed "The Knowledge Navigator". Apple did a promo video for it, if you do a google search you can find bits of it here and there. While Scully's idea was a pipe dream, what became reality was the Powerbook. The first units shipped, IIRC, while Scully was still CEO. Surprisingly, it's one of the few products he introduced that Jobs didn't kill off when he returned in 96. Probably because it was a money maker, unlike the Newton.

[/History Lesson]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The only reason is that Apple felt that they needed the Mac name in their products, and now they have an excuse to, as the MacBook Pro really is a completely new computer. This is the reason the iMac name went unchanged.

That's why they'll probably go for Macbook instead of iBook.
Then you'll have:
-iMac, Mac Mini & ??? (Powermac successor? Maybe Mac Pro?)
-Macbook, Macbook Pro
-iPod, iPod mini & iPod shuffle

OP
Pierre
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you look at the MWSF Keynote, Steve Jobs specifically said he wanted to change all the names of their products so that it has the word mac in it. It will be the MacBook, no doubt. We hate it now, but we'll learn to love it, I suppose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss said:
[History Lesson]

Just to add to the history lesson here, you were right above, but the Powerbook was not originally Jobs idea. It was a holdover from John Scully, the CEO who booted jobs back in the 80s. His idea was dubbed "The Knowledge Navigator". Apple did a promo video for it, if you do a google search you can find bits of it here and there. While Scully's idea was a pipe dream, what became reality was the Powerbook. The first units shipped, IIRC, while Scully was still CEO. Surprisingly, it's one of the few products he introduced that Jobs didn't kill off when he returned in 96. Probably because it was a money maker, unlike the Newton.

[/History Lesson]

I didn't think of that. But I could've sworn I remember reading a quote from Jobs with the exact words "I want a Mac in a book." (or something along those lines).

The reason I say "mBook" however, is that it lends better to being a succesfull follow-up to the iBook. It leans toward the same naming scheme and industrial design, but has those slight changes that warrant it being a new porduct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well, iPod is apple's most succesful product, and it does not have "mac" in its name.
The iMac has been very succesful
As has the iBook.
iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iCal, iSight, etc.
I think the "i" makes sense, and I doubt it will be removed from a succesful product like the iBook. At the same time however, look at the powerbook. It really doesnt make sense, we can analyze and logic all we want, yet the truth is we dont know. We didnt imagine a new notebook named the "MacBook Pro" a couple months ago, yet here we are.

I think most logically, we could assume that the iBook will be renamed the "MacBook".

iBook, for entry level consumers

PowerBook, for the higher end.

MacBook Pro, for the higher end,

MacBook, for the average consumers.

Does this not make sense? And alas, again, we really have no clue. We'll see in June.

Y

yuwing

i thought i___ is from "me"... or that's what i felt about my ibook :)

i felt a connection with it (unlike xp). i often tell my firends my ibook is a companion. or maybe i'm spending too much time with it :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.