• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burn App Quits Before Burning DVD

Reaction score
every time just before the burn software is about to process video it quits unexpectedly,it converts my MP4 into MPG to allow play on a normal DVD player but will not burn it,I have used it in the past with no problem,could it be that I am trying to burn 1080p movies and Burn can not do this or am I missing something any suggestions will be most welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Using a Blu-Ray burner? If so Toast Titanium 11 will burn.

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks for the reply but it does not realy answer my question wether the burn software that i downloaded for free called "Burn" will do 1080p dvd, I'm not trying to burn Blue Ray dvd just normal 1080p to play on a normal dvd. hope this explains my question a little better.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, "Burn" will not do 1080P nor will any other software without using a Blue Ray burner. Harry gave you the correct answer since "Toast" (Mac) or "Roxio" (Windows) can burn to Blue Ray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
DVD doesn't support 1080 (it maxes out at 720x576) but as burn is converting the file that shouldn't cause an issue.

However, if you're burn to DVD video it should be creating VOB files not mpg files.

Do the mpg files play ok on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it did answer your question but no worries.

OP
W
Reaction score
well from the nuggets of information from you guy's, I guess the answer is no, thanks ever so much for taking time out to help.

C

chas_m

Unrelated to the resolution issue: Burn and other DVD-burning programs require vast amounts of free space in order to work properly. That maybe were your problem actually lies, though you still won't be able to make a non-BR DVD burn any higher resolution than 720x480 (the NTSC max -- mrplow was referring to PAL DVDs, which have slightly higher resolution).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.