Contacting Web Sites

H

Harpo

Got a new cable connection recently. It frequently goes around 8 or 9 mbps, which is very satisfactory, considering it's a 10mb rated downstream. The problem is—when I first visit a website, it takes a very long time on the "Contacting google.com..." stage (not just Google, of course). Sometimes I even have to click the link or hit return in the address bar again. Once it gets past this stage, visiting other parts of the webpage is speedy (say, google.com/images or other pages of search results—or, after it contacts a forum site, I can view the threads at high speed). What's the trouble with that initial stage? Is there anything I can do?

Right now I have the a LinkSys router picking up the DHCP served by the cable modem, and an AirPort Express plugged into the LinkSys—however, the problem was still present when it was just the cable modem and AirPort Express.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.