Can I listen to Audio books.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
on my Mac desktop?
I dont mean with MP3 or CD, but to download and listen to an Audio book?

TIA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with iTunes provided the Audio Book was in a format that iTunes understood. Why don't you download a free one and give it a try?

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with iTunes provided the Audio Book was in a format that iTunes understood. Why don't you download a free one and give it a try?

This is what I get when I try........................

PastedGraphic-1.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I currently have several audiobooks from Audible and they work fine. My wife finds that on her Win 7 PC iTunes does not always keep the parts of multi part books in correct order. So she may, for example, have to start part 2 because iTunes skipped to part 3. It doesn't happen all the time.

Nevermind misunderstood the question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is what I get when I try........................

You said "Audio Book" not iBook. Of course an iBook can only be read using the Apple iBook reader in iOS. (On your iPhone or iPad)

Download a real "Audio Book" from Amazon.com and try to play (listen to) it in iTunes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure what you mean by "not with mp3" since that is going to be the format for almost all downloaded audio books.

Amazon - actually Audible (owned by Amazon) is the place to get audio books. They will be playable on a Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, Windows phone and Blackberry.

An iTunes audiobook will only be playable from within iTunes or iOS.
The picture have posted there is not for an audio book - it is for an ebook.
You need to make sure you are in the Audiobooks section if you're going to use iTunes, not the ebook section of the Books tab..

If you are wanting to check it out - head to Audible - grab their trial membership, currently $7.50/mth gets you 1 book a month for first 3 months.

If you want to check out free audio books, head for your local library web site or check out LibriVox.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the answers, between all of you you 'got it':)

Must not be good at explaining myself............................

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.