Printer replacement w/ a new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - I'm about to replace my old Dell PC w/ a new iMac - I now have 2 printers attached to my Dell via USB wired connections, a Canon Pixma MF & a Brother laser - these are NOT AirPrint compatible (I have a program called FingerPrint on the Dell that allows me to print wirelessly from our iDevices).

I'd love to replace these 2 printers w/ a laser color one that will do AirPrint - this does not have to be a MF printer (I have a Canon scanner that will let us copy/scan) - SO, just wondering what are some of the current options for a laser printer doing color w/ or w/o the option of scanning & coping? Any suggestions for me to review would be appreciated - thanks - Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at "Printopia". With it you won't need to buy a new printer. It will enable both of them to air print from your Mac, iPad, or iPhone. It's $19.95 to buy a license. That's a lot less than replacing those printers. ;)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a look at "Printopia". With it you won't need to buy a new printer. It will enable both of them to air print from your Mac, iPad, or iPhone. It's $19.95 to buy a license. That's a lot less than replacing those printers. ;)

Well, FingerPrint from Collobos Software already is working fine for me now and I can easily transfer my license to the new Mac - so not a problem to keep both printers - BUT, I don't want 2 desk top hogs on my computer table - would like just one - I can easily donate the older printers locally, so just looking for a 'single footprint' option - Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi All - I'm about to replace my old Dell PC w/ a new iMac - I now have 2 printers attached to my Dell via USB wired connections, a Canon Pixma MF & a Brother laser - these are NOT AirPrint compatible (I have a program called FingerPrint on the Dell that allows me to print wirelessly from our iDevices).

Are either of these printers wireless capable? If so...if one of them is compatible with Macintosh computers...you could print wirelessly.:)

Regarding the color printer. You must be a very brave person wanting to get a home color laser printer!;) Man those replacement color toners are EXPENSIVE!!! Unless of course you have professional reasons for a color laser printer (or have "deep pockets")!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Are either of these printers wireless capable? If so...if one of them is compatible with Macintosh computers...you could print wirelessly.:)

Regarding the color printer. You must be a very brave person wanting to get a home color laser printer!;) Man those replacement color toners are EXPENSIVE!!! Unless of course you have professional reasons for a color laser printer (or have "deep pockets")!:)

- Nick

You got that right we had to reload the color toner (all of them ) on the HP Laserjet and it was very expensive but since it was a our business a necessary evil at home noway.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You got that right we had to reload the color toner (all of them ) on the HP Laserjet and it was very expensive but since it was a our business a necessary evil at home noway.

I've been tempted a couple times to purchase a home color laser printer. I see them sometimes on sale for under $200. But they come with those "starter toners". So I know in almost no time...I'm gonna need to replace the toners.

At what...$100-$150 each...I either sell my right arm to pay for the new toners;)...or toss the printer into the trash (or sell it)!:(

- Nick

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

Hi Nick - both printers are old and are not wireless capable; as mentioned, w/ the little program FingerPrint on my Dell computer, my iOS devices can print wirelessly (just mimics AirPrint).

I would just love to have one printer only - my wife seems to print everything she sees on the inkjet (that's the reason I even bought a B&W laser, so she would use that to save on ink; those Pixma color ink packages are $50 each and seem to run out every 3-4 months!).

Now I've been a subscriber to PC Mag & PC World for years and numerous articles have appeared over the years comparing the cost of ink between these two technologies - to me the score has been pretty even, so I'm not sure this would be a tremendous influence in my decision.

My simplest solution is to simply stick w/ the 2 old printers that I own & obtain the Mac version of FingerPrint so we can print from our iPads, i.e. no added cost. But an updated printer w/ just one ink option (and some extra desk space) is still a thought - thanks for your comments - Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well All - I'll probably purchase an iMac next week and still cannot decide on this printer option - as stated in my previous post I'm just inclined to use the printers that I own currently (Canon Pixma MP 830 & Brother Laser 2270DW) - I'd love to just PnP both w/o loading a crap load of software which I did w/ the Canon on my PC - any suggestions (or warnings) as to whether the appropriate drivers will be loaded correctly to run these printers - thanks for any comments - Dave

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, an update - purchased a new Canon Inkjet MX922 - new iMac arrived (will pick up on Monday) - would like to install via USB (and then the old Brother wirelessly just to put it in a corner of the room) - NOW, the last time I did a Canon MF printer install was from a CD-ROM which loaded just a bunch of software much unwanted; this time I'd like to just get the printer, scanner & copying drivers for OS X on the computer - what might be the best way(s) to accomplish this goal - thanks as usual. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I share your pain with Canon costs and the software. I've got a Pixma MP 990.

As far as the drivers go check out this page. Select the Drivers and software link. On the next page enter the OS version. The drivers are separate from the other software. Take a look at the other software though in case you need the network tools.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with the extra Canon software is that in order to get them to go wireless you have to install several of the Canon network utilities. I've been there done that a few times with my Canon printers. It's a real pain because each time you make adjustments to your wireless network, the Canon printer goes south until it's setup again.

No problem whatsoever though with my Epson and HP printers. They just work without any fuss, muss, or cuss. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I agree. I've occasionally had it go South for no apparent reason. Spent a few hours working on that recently.

I used to use Epsons almost exclusively though their software had its own issues back in the data.We had problems with some of the models after the SC 800. If the cartridges sat for too long they dried out. Seemed to happen sooner with them than with other cartridges.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys for the comments - I'll be doing this Canon printer install in the next few days and will follow the advice given - believe that the drivers will be a good start - most of the software that I reviewed from the link will probably not be needed for my purposes. Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the questions but want to pick the best option for this new Canon MX922 printer - my new iMac is in the house today - first snag was my old Cisco router (doesn't seem Mtn Lion compatible in checking their website, and did not want to bother w/ support) - SO, just bought an AirPort Extreme and will install tomorrow (hopefully).

QUESTION - first, I want to 'cable' this new printer in some fashion and have two main options: 1) USB into the new iMac or 2) USB into the AirPort Extreme; guess that an ethernet connection to the new router would be yet another choice?

SO, what would be my best option? I'd like to be able to print simply from our 'wireless' devices, mainly iPads - I know that a number of solutions will work but just wondering what may be the best choice in my situation - thanks for comments. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.