Just ordered a new Retina Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I finally ordered a 13 inch retina pro this evening and cant wait to get it. I just sold the machine it is replacing, a 2010 13 inch pro. Instead of doing the base model, i went to the 3.0 GHz i7 and 512GB SSD. I was reading that some people were having issues with them, i don't beat on my machines and my old pro hardly ever left my desk. My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't think twice about buying the AppleCare on a Retina model, considering how non-serviceable they are. They're built to be disposable, so anything that goes wrong will likely net you a new machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just talked to my friend at apple and he told me that they have been having some screen issues with the retina model, i am going to go a few months on the complementary warranty and make my choice then, i most likely will get it. do you have one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.

Absolutely! As our Administrator pointed out, it's a disposable machine - no user upgrades. (As of right now.)

You can purchase Apple Care discounted from B&H Photo in New York City. They're an authorized Apple reseller and provider. Their Apple Care prices are 20% below what Apple charges. LINK

I purchased my Apple Care from them for my iMac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just talked to my friend at apple and he told me that they have been having some screen issues with the retina model, i am going to go a few months on the complementary warranty and make my choice then, i most likely will get it. do you have one?

Nope, and if this is the way the MacBook Pro line-up goes, this will be my last Apple notebook.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noticed you posted this in the off-topic forum - I went ahead and moved it to Apple Notebooks, since this is more fitting there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for moving it, i didnt quite know where it would fit in. My friend was looking to see if he could get a discount and he said the best way was to get it with my education discount, I just looked it up and it was $183 dollars. would that be cheaper then the B&H photo you mentioned?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes it is! If you can get Apple Care for the Retina at $183.00, go for it. B&H charges $244.00 which as you know is below what Apple charges.

As for the display problem with the Retinas.... do your homework on this. There are several long blogs describing the problems. It has to do with the two display providers: LG and Samsung. I believe the defective units were equipped with the Samsung display but am not positive. Do some searching and you should be able to find out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I finally ordered a 13 inch retina pro this evening and cant wait to get it. I just sold the machine it is replacing, a 2010 13 inch pro. Instead of doing the base model, i went to the 3.0 GHz i7 and 512GB SSD. I was reading that some people were having issues with them, i don't beat on my machines and my old pro hardly ever left my desk. My question is, do you think I should purchase the extended applecare for it or not. I had it on my old pro and iMac never had to use it.

Congrats on selling your old MBP...and WOW...you really went all out on your new purchase!!! Retina MBP AND a 512gig SSD (that's one pricey upgrade)! I imagine you must have gotten a lot of ram as well.

I second "chscag's" recommendation regarding getting Extended Applecare via B&H photo.:) A small price to pay for an extra 2 years of Applecare (three years total)...compared to what you're paying for that new computer!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@rabbitjetta

Go to the link I provided and disregard my previous reply about the $244. That was for the 15" and 17" models. The 13" MBP is $179.99 which would be less expensive than the $183.00 you were quoted.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pig003 thanks! I sold it for 750 i think i did good on it, there were a few small scratches and dents, it still had 4 months of AC left on it. I threw in Office 08, iWork 09, ML, Speck case, 8gb ram upgrade and the iLife 11 upgrade.
I went all out on the upgrade because I would like it to last me to college and maybe a little into it, I am a sophomore in high school now. I am doing an internship at my grandpas family business in the IT department and needed a machine that can easily run some virtual machines as well as i use mine to do some light photo and video editing. I really loved my old pro, it was my first mac but it was getting slower with the Core 2 Duo.
@chscag Thanks for letting me know about that, i will have to get it sometime.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pig003 thanks! I sold it for 750 i think i did good on it...

Yes...I think that you did good on it as well!:)

I'm actually looking for a 2009 or 2010 13" MBP to replace my 2008 MacBook (believe it or not...just for the backlit keyboard).;) I checked the value of your old MBP...and Mac2Sell said it was worth around $650 I believe. More than I wanted to pay.;)

So again...congrats on both selling your old MBP...and your new MBP!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes...I think that you did good on it as well!:)

I'm actually looking for a 2009 or 2010 13" MBP to replace my 2008 MacBook (believe it or not...just for the backlit keyboard).;) I checked the value of your old MBP...and Mac2Sell said it was worth around $650 I believe. More than I wanted to pay.;)

So again...congrats on both selling your old MBP...and your new MBP!:)

- Nick

Too bad you're not looking for a 2010 15"! ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad you're not looking for a 2010 15"! ;)

Are you selling a 15"?;)

I also have a 17" MBP...and when I don't need the 17" display...I really like the footprint & lightness of a 13".:)

One day when my 17" gets totally obsolete...and if Apple still has similar offerings as today (15" has dedicated graphics & 13" doesn't)...I may finally settle for a 15"!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the one in my sig. I just need to get off of my laziness and get it listed somewhere.

Find out where "rabbitjetta" sold his. Sold pretty fast!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm actually looking for a 2009 or 2010 13" MBP to replace my 2008 MacBook (believe it or not...just for the backlit keyboard).;)

- Nick

Ohhh how you will think you have gone to heaven :)
I never realised how much i enjoy/need the backlit keyboard, for when i use my girls MBA and look for the F5/F6 keys to turn it up and she doesnt have it. I Airdrop what im doing to my machine and away i go.
Its a luxury that i will look to afford in any future machine....

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sold mine on Craigslist. It took about 3 days to sell. Apple seems to sell faster then other electronics.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohhh how you will think you have gone to heaven :)
I never realised how much i enjoy/need the backlit keyboard...

I'm already in heaven:)...my 17" MBP has a backlit keyboard...absolutely awesome for those late night or early morning computer sessions.:)

Also...my wife used to have a 13" Unibody MacBook (which was a great computer)...but it didn't have a backlit keyboard (since none of them did). I purposely upgraded her computer to a 2010 13" MBP with a backlit keyboard...because I knew that she would love it.:)

Kind of a lot of work to sell one used computer...then buy another used computer...just for a backlit keyboard. But I think worth it in the end!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 2013 15" i7 2.7 16GB 500f /24" Cinema Disp /iP 4S /Mag.Mouse&Trackp/ aTV2 / ModBookC2D
I am not sure how the apple students offer works in the US, but in the UK when you order MacBook in the Apple online education store you get discount plus Apple Care for Free.

You don't even have to apply for it. You are automatically enrolled.

However they ask if you wish to purchase additional telephone support for apple care, in my case I got my 15" MBPr 2 days ago and Free Apple Care Service was enough for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.