Printer is Offline message

Reaction score
I've recently switched to a Mac computer and when I try to print, I get a "Printer is Offline" statement on my screen even though my computer appears to have identified and set up the correct connection to my printer. My printer is working fine with my LG Desktop.

Probably a stupid question but what gives? Any input appreciated.

M

MacInWin

What Mac? WHat printer? How did you install it? How is it connected? What version of OSX? We need some help to help.

EDIT: What application are you using to print?

OP
T
Reaction score
What Mac? WHat printer? How did you install it? How is it connected? What version of OSX? We need some help to help.

EDIT: What application are you using to print?

It's a MacBook Air 1369 bought 12-18 months ago, the printer is a Lexmark. On advice from my Apple store I installed it by plugging the cord that runs from the printer to the LG Desktop into my Air, when I plugged in the cord from the printer to my laptop, it asked me to select my printer -- it showed the Lexmark on the screen and I selected it as my printer. When I went to print my document I got "Offline".

I know that OS X is an operating system but don't know what mine is or where to find that information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I know that OS X is an operating system but don't know what mine is or where to find that information.

You can find that by clicking the  top left of screen then "About this Mac" and it will show the OS X Version. And just for FYI if you click on the OS X version number it will show the Build of your Mac and click it again and it will show you the Serial Number, just incase you ever need to find those 2 things :)
Are you on a WiFi Network ?? If so i find it easier to get my Printer on the same WiFi network as my Mac and then through System Preferences>Print and Scan Add the printer there by clicking the + button at the bottom of the left window. I find if i do it this way that because it finds it over the air, i never have the Offline problem.

First though, delete the printer and try adding it again. If you can only do it being hardwired into the printer, still delete it and add it again.
I suppose before hand look for any OS X Drivers that it might need by checking the Software Update while hooked up to the printer before deleting and starting again.
Click the >Software Update and that should open up the MAS and see if the Printer has any drivers that need updating . . .

HTH

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.