imovie

Reaction score
Over the years I downloaded many family movies and burned them to DVD,s. Some on my older PC, and some on my Mac.
Then, to save space on my HD, I deleted all movies.
Now I have a much larger HD and would like to download the DVD,s back to my iMovies.
What's the best solution?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are many options for this. The first two that come to mind are Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip. Both programs have a variety of preset settings to choose from. MPEG Streamclip has basic editing capabilities. I'll let others chime in on the best format and resolution to save the files in. That depends in part on what will be used to play them.

C

chas_m

There's a program called DVDxDV that takes the compressed MPEG-2 files on a "movie" DVD (by which I mean a personal one such as the OP describes, doesn't work with commercial DVDs) and converts the contents to DV, one of iMovie's native formats for editing. The resulting file is HUGE but can be re-edited with minimal quality loss (given that the compression came from the original DVD-making process and must be re-done when you re-burn it after editing).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
Looks like I need to buy one of the programs.
Or, perhaps I should just re-upload the original tapes from the video camera?

stevog

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Forgot about that one chas. I used it for a while eons ago and liked it.

OP
S
Reaction score
iMovie

Does the free version of KIGO convert to .mov format, which would be the format that iMovie needs?
Thanks,

stevog

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.