Confused on which one to get.

Reaction score
I like many can't seem to make up my mind on which upgrades to get with my macbook pro purchase. I'm about to start Graduate school in the summer and need an updated computer. I currently have a 5 year old PC that has seen its best day and I use a Mac at work and like how it runs. I'm looking at the Macbook pro non-retina 15 and it gets hazy from this point with all of the upgrades. I will also use this for music and minimal photo and video editing with my Gopro camera. Money is not a huge issue, but I don't want to make the wife mad either. I thought about going with the 13in, but I like having the GDDR that the 15 offers. Would video editing be very time consuming with Intel 4000 vs with additional GDDR on the 15in?
I'm looking for a machine that will last about 5-6 years before I have to replace it with a newer model. I know I'm going to get a tone of different opinions, but that's what I'm looking for between these machines. Thanks for the help, I'm looking to buy in May.

13in
2.9Ghz
750HD – 5400 (I figured I would get an external usb3 or thunderbolt drive for video or upgrade to 256 SSD for $270)
8GB of RAM (Upgraded to 16GB $125)
AppleCare
Will run me $1,582 plus RAM upgrade or $1,852 (SSD) plus RAM upgrade.

15in
2.3 w/ 512 GDDR
4GB Ram – Thinking of buying Crucial and upgrading to 16GB for $125
750 HD – 7200
Hi-Res Antiglare
AppleCare

Will run me $2,163 (plus Ram Upgrade)

Or
2.6 w/ 1GDDR
Everything else the same.

Will run me $2,283 (plus RAM upgrade)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
'm looking at the Macbook pro non-retina 15 and it gets hazy from this point with all of the upgrades.

I thought about going with the 13in, but I like having the GDDR that the 15 offers.

To be honest...if you're mainly interested in the 15" non-retina...and like the idea of the dedicated graphics hardware of the 15"...then cross the 13" off the list. This greatly reduces the confusion/choices.:)

Then all you have to do is decide on the ram & storage upgrades.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but I like having the GDDR that the 15 offers. Would video editing be very time consuming with Intel 4000 vs with additional GDDR on the 15in?

I wondering if $456 is worth the upgrade for the dedicated GDDR

You said in post #1 that you like the idea of the dedicated graphics hardware with the 15" MBP. Thus...if you like it...get it!:) You already mentioned that money wasn't a big issue.:)

As far as the "time consuming". Well it all depends on how complex & how often you do video editing. All I can say is...few professionals would want to do video editing without dedicated graphics hardware.

The BIG point as well is:

- if you want the dedicated graphics...you MUST get the 15".
- if you don't want the dedicated graphics...then you MUST get the 13".

Thus then you need to be indifferent to the display size (13" vs. 15").

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
That's true. I'll rule out the 13in. What are your thoughts between the two processors? 2.3 vs 2.6. The imac i use at work has 2.7i5 w/8GB & 512MB (late 2012 model) and it does good with photos and video. Would the 2.3 be comparable? Thanks for the info.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true. I'll rule out the 13in. What are your thoughts between the two processors? 2.3 vs 2.6. The imac i use at work has 2.7i5 w/8GB & 512MB (late 2012 model) and it does good with photos and video. Would the 2.3 be comparable? Thanks for the info.

From a cpu perspective...both would be faster than the iMac you use at work.:)

As far as getting the 2.3 or the 2.6. I would get the 2.6. Not necessarily just because it is faster...but because the vram of the dedicated graphics is doubled from 512meg to 1gig.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.