Getting a new iPad Mini!!!!!

Reaction score
Well, sort of new. After debating for quite some time, I pulled the plug and ordered a white 32 GB Mini from Apple's refurb store. It is scheduled to be delivered this Friday. (I didn't know they shipped from Hong Kong.) I already ordered an inexpensive case and screen protection film from eBay and may later get a nicer case if this one is too cheesy.

The refurb store says that they replace the outside case and put in a brand new battery as part of the refurbishment process, so I hope this was a wise move, as I like my stuff to look new, even if it isn't.

I already had a gen 1 iPad, but never used it much, since I also have a Nook Tablet (last years model) that I use a lot. The iPad was just a little too big to take out and about, and a little heavy to lay in bed and read from. So I am thinking of just downloading the Nook App for reading, since the MIni has a slightly larger screen and is still a little lighter. I don't think the lower screen resolution will make much difference with this size screen. I also like that the Mini has cameras and bluetooth, as my Nook Tablet doesn't have either.

I've been a member here for a while, but mostly lurk. I will be probably lurking more now that I have a new device to explore. This forum is a great place to learn from. Keep up the good work!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Apart from the box you won't be able to tell the difference from brand new.

OP
T
Reaction score
I had read that before here on the forums. Thanks for the reassurance.

OP
T
Reaction score
My new iPad Mini is a world traveler!!

FedEx Tracking info (so far) shows:

Shipped from SHENZHEN China
Next stop: LANTAU ISLAND Hong Kong
Next: CHEK LAP KOK Hong Kong
Next: TA YUAN HSIANG Taiwan
Next: SENNAN-SHI Japan
Next: ANCHORAGE, Alaska
Next: NARITA-SHI Japan

Due to be delivered tomorrow (Friday April 05, 2013) to USA

Can't wait!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I get the Shenzen, China to Alaska..that's the usual trip and then it's all within the US..why is going to back to Japan? interesting..

OP
T
Reaction score
My iPad Mini arrived tody. As it has been said, if I didn't look closely at the box, I would never know it is a refurb. Condition is immaculate. I couldn't be more pleased. Installing apps now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Theoak - congrats on your new iPad Mini - just bought my wife one a few weeks ago (32 GB Wi-Fi only) - she had a Nook Color and read reviews on the Nook app - apparently a lot of crashing issues, so may not be the best solution - she is keeping her Nook for the moment to read the books on the device - so a transition for her. Good luck and please let us know your experience if you decide to try the Nook app - Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Rad, So far, I have not experienced any crash with the Nook app. And I have installed and uninstalled about a million apps looking for the one that will let me print from a Canon ImageClass D480 printer. I have done hard resets, and everything, but so far, have had no crash. The page turn animation works flawlessly (I didn't know it had that, as the Nook Tablet does not do that.) Even after hard resets, the Nook app kept my place in my book. Crash problems may depend on what elese you have installed, or maybe B&N has updated it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Rad, So far, I have not experienced any crash with the Nook app. And I have installed and uninstalled about a million apps looking for the one that will let me print from a Canon ImageClass D480 printer.............

To print from the iPad, an Air Print compatible printer is needed or a utility residing on your computer connected to the printer that mimics Apple's Air Print service - your printer is not on the list HERE - I have 2 non-Air Print printers (Canon Pixma IJ & Brother laser) but for nearly 2 years have been able to print to each using FingerPrint - a $20 purchase (a free trial is offered) - this program resides on your computer only (i.e. NOTHING needed on the iPad); now there are other options, and you might want to visit the Canon website to see if they have a similar solution? Good luck & let us know your solution! Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
There seem to be quite a large number of printers that work with the iPad, provided you get the right app. I have no emergency since the iPad can print to my Brother MFC CN9440. But I like the Canon printer better, so I will investigate further. If I find a solution, I will post.

OP
T
Reaction score
I bought PrintnShare Pro app by EuroSmartz. In the app's setup. it has you email yourself a link to iPhone, iPad & Android Printing: There's an App for that - As seen in the Apple™ “Office” Ad which lets you download WePrint. Like FingerPrint, WePrint is a program that is installed to your desktop computer, which turns it into a print server. Then you use the PrintnShare Pro app on the iPad to connect to it. It is not quite so convenient as AirPrint, but works well. You just have to jump through a hoop or two to use it.

For instance, to print a web page, you need to insert a "z" in the web address just after the http, then press the "Go" button on the on-screen keyboard to bring up the print dialog box. Not as easy as the AirPrint button, but OK.

Reaction score
Hey theoak I also bought a refurb imac 24" desktop back in late 2009. Because I had never had an Apple product thus far, at that time I decided to get the 3 year warranty. I had no problems whatsoever until literally less than 2 months before the 3 year warranty was up. And it was probably just from normal wear and tear. I needed a new 1 TB hard drive. Lucky for me I had purchased the Applecare warranty as it was cheaper than the warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.