itunes 11 Artwork Can't Add

Reaction score
I am running iTunes 11 on an iMac with OS Lion. Recently I purchased a separate hard drive to put all my CDs on. I am surprised at how many albums that although iTunes recognises the album and tracks it can't find the artwork.

My problem is that I can't get the artwork to add, I right click on the album and get info. I highlight the artwork box and then have tried copy and paste and dragging from finder. The artwork appears in the Info panel, and I tick the artwork box. I click OK and the Album is again just shown as a music symbol.

I have also tried by selecting all the songs in an album and then get info, but exactly the same happens

If I do Get Info on an album that I have previously added artwork to the artwork box is again blank.

I am obviously missing something, any suggestions please?

ElBeardo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds as though the files are read only. So that's the first thing I'd check.

Where is your iTunes library?
How is the external formatted?
Can you change any other data like the title, year, genre etc?

OP
E
Reaction score
The external drive is formatted to be Mac OS Extended, but I am sure it is something that I have done, either set up something that I shouldn't of or not set something up.

After the posting I did some more investigation and had forgotten that I have iTunes set up with 2 libraries. One in which my music is stored in WAV format the other in MP3 format. The MP3 library is synchronised to my iPad and I only load the CDs I want to be downloaded to that in this library.

What I discovered today was the problem I am having only affects the WAV library, when I open the MP3 library and load CDs more artwork is found that is found by the WAV library and I can copy and paste artwork. I also discovered that if I revert to the WAV library and do a Get Album Artwork the covers that were found for MP3 albums are loaded but not those that I have copied and pasted.

In the WAV library all the other functions of Get Info appear to work, i.e. change Artist or Album name, make compilation etc.

ElBeardo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
wav files do not hold meta data like mp3s. You can't hold artwork in wav files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do the files have artwork embedded in them? Or is there a cover jpg in the album folder?

OP
E
Reaction score
Sorry mrplow I don't understand what you mean by cover jog

When I first got my iMac I loaded my music in WAV form on to the internal hard drive. I then got an external hard on to which I transferred all the existing music plus at this time I created two separate libraries one for MP3 to synch with my iPad and one for WAV. I have been looking at finder and have discovered a couple of things.

1. The music which was originally on my internal hard drive is still there under a folder called Music
2. Also within the folder Music on the internal hard drive there are two folders one for each of my libraries and within them there is a folder called Album Artwork. In both cases the Album Artwork folder contains numerous subfolders usually called by a two digit number, tracking through these folders you then arrive at an itc file which from what I can see has a meaningless name. There are no album artwork folders on the external drive.

I presume that I can delete the music that has been transferred from the internal drive. However should the Album Artwork files also have been transferred to the external hard drive? Could this be part of my problem?

Regards

ElBeardo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
typo sorry jpg not jog.

But, yes you've discovered what I was implying. WAV can't have the cover art embedded in them. But if you have a cover image in the right format and location iTunes will display it.

Reaction score
typo sorry jpg not jog.

But, yes you've discovered what I was implying. WAV can't have the cover art embedded in them. But if you have a cover image in the right format and location iTunes will display it.

Do you by chance know how to set this up manually? like how can i properly set up these cover arts so that they can be displayed for my wav files in itunes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.