• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie...how to save?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Good God. I am having a **** of a time trying to save an iMovie clip. I just clipped 5 seconds off of a 20 sec clip, accomplishing what I wanted to do, but now it's "trapped" in iMovie. All I want to do is close it out and stick it back into my movie clip file. Yes, I swear I searched...and searched, to no avail.

I did close out iMovie just to make sure my clip remained edited as I wanted. It did save it correctly, so now I just need take it out of iMovie. It can't possibly be this complicated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Assuming that your clip is in a Project, then use the Share menu and choose either Export Movie or Export Using Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
It's in the Events folder in your library.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
OK, so the Share drop-down worked. I exported it the desktop, then my file. However, the movie was not in Projects when I created it. It was in the bottom half of of the iMovie window, whatever that's called, so I had to copy and paste it to the Project area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Depending on how you have your interface setup ( editor on top / bottom ) You were likely looking at your Events on the bottom...I suggest some online tutorials.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
However, the movie was not in Projects when I created it. It was in the bottom half of of the iMovie window, whatever that's called, so I had to copy and paste it to the Project area.
Yes, that's how it works. You import video/movie files into iMovie and they are stored in the Events Library. You then create a Project, move want you want into it, and when it's finished use the Share menu.

Work through iMovie Help most of what you'll want to do is in there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.