How to tell if file is saved on flash or magnetic storage in fusion drive?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to see the movement of my files and I need to be able to tell the physical location of my files. How can I tell if my files are stored on the main hard disk or on flash memory?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Technically, the SSD and HDD should show up as a single volume and the files will move between the two devices automatically and I can't imagine there'd be a way for you to know when a file is in the SSD and whe it got moved to the HDD, that should be transparent..

I gotta ask why you'd want to know where the file is? If the system is functioning properly, then the files that you access all the time should be moved to the SSD and accessible faster than they would be if they were still on the HDD...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To add to what "Raz0rEdge" stated in his reply, you might also wish to read the following article from PC Mag explaining about file storage on Apple's Fusion drive: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
Re:

I am looking at it more from a research perspective than an end user's perspective and the lack of documentation on the Fusion Drive is frustrating. I feel pretty confident that I have covered all easily searchable online sources.

I am trying to see whether the files are actually moved into the flash memory if I use it more, and for that I first needed to figure out how to tell which part of the physical drive a file is stored in.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I don't thing you'll find any user level tools to inspect that. The transition should be transplant to you. The only way to know for certain would require doing it from the hardware perspective that you cannot do easily..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.