Mountain Lion and Cisco's USB Console Cable

Reaction score
So I'm a network engineer and I use console connections into my various Cisco network equipment all the time. Currently I use a Tripp-Lite USB to Console adapter and that works fine. But, I would much prefer to use Cisco's USB console connection instead. That way I don't have to rely on this adaptor so much. Has anyone got that working? If you're not sure what I'm talking about it's a standard USB connection on one side (Mac side) and a mini-USB on the Cisco side. It just works in Windows and I'd like to get it to work on my Mac.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does Windows report it has being when the cable is plugged in? Do you see a new virtual com port or something? What happens when you plug the cable into the Mac? Does anything appear in the /dev folder?

OP
W
Reaction score
Unsure about the Windows. I'll have to hunt a Win box down to test it.

On the Mac nothing shows up in the /dev folder. I'm wondering if some sort of driver needs to be loaded.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just being a USB cable isn't enough, it has to conform to some standard spec. It could be serial-to-USB or something..

OP
W
Reaction score
Hmmm. Cisco supplies the cable. They give you 2 blue console cables. One is the USB to mini USB and the other is the serial cable. Maybe I'll give Cisco a call and see what they say.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used these sorts of cables from vendors before and it is usually just a serial to USB cable that uses a FTDI chip. This is becoming more prominent now that a lot of laptops don't come with serial ports anymore.

If it's just a serial-to-USB with a known chip like the FTDI, then OS X should have support for it and create a /dev/ttyUSB0 or some device and then you can use whatever application you'd use normally to talk to that virtual com port..

I don't know anything about Cisco boxes, so not sure if there is some other proprietary thing that they use for communication..

OP
W
Reaction score
Spoke with Cisco and they confirmed that I would need a driver but that they won't be making one for Mac :( Looks like I'm doing the USB Console connector thing for good. Thanks for chiming in though...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well glad you sorted it out..and too bad they don't want to play nice with Mac..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.