Elongated images after upgrading to mt lion

Reaction score
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

The above is my video card.
I have a macbook pro.
I upgraded to Mt Lion and now images in finder or in Microsoft Word for Mac appear elongated. Long bodies and faces on people. Tried different resolutions to resolve it.
Nothing is working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Display preferences from System Preferences and reset your MacBook Pro to its native resolution.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh how I wish it was that easy.
I tried changing screen resolution . . . tried all the options. All result in vertically stretched photos. Also the pages in MS word are elongated vertically.

Tried reseeting PRAM . . .
Can't figure this one out.

Thanks
;P:;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
can you post a screen shot?

OP
F
Reaction score
screen snap

Yes, I can.

The pictures on the left are what I see. The pictures on the right are how things are supposed to look.

Thanks

snap2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
sorry, i know what you're describing but could do with seeing it in context, your desktop, word etc

OP
F
Reaction score
screen shot

Hum . . . okay. How do I do a screen shot?
I'd love to show you how Microsoft Word is looking.
And how it is supposed to look.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
COMMAND-SHIFT-3 snaps the whole screen.

COMMAND-SHIFT-4 snaps what you enclose in the crosshairs.

You will find the screenshots saved on the desktop.

M

MacInWin

To my eye, the left is more normal. Try going to a website you know has a large circle. Here is one: LINK Measure it side to side and top to bottom with a ruler. I suspect your older monitor was making things too wide and now the new one is closer to correct. But the circle screen will let you actually measure to see what's going on.

OP
F
Reaction score
COMMAND-SHIFT-3 snaps the whole screen.

COMMAND-SHIFT-4 snaps what you enclose in the crosshairs.

You will find the screenshots saved on the desktop.

Cool
Okay, here it is
Screenshot.png

I'm on a macbook pro.
I have not had this problem this extreme until I updated from leopard to mt lion.

I am running windows on parallel. On that side of the computer, everything looks normal.
On the mac side, faces are elongated. On video, people are taller than they should be.
Everyone looks like they have marphan syndrome, like Abraham Lincoln.

Thanks!!!

OP
F
Reaction score
Also, my resolsution is at 1600 x 1000
That makes it possible to read fonts and things that are way too small on mac, otherwise,
But it doesn't seem to help the elongation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After looking at your screen shots and photos you posted, I agree with member "MacInWin". (I too see nothing wrong.) Also, since you're not running your MBP at its native resolution, all bets are off.....

OP
F
Reaction score
nothing is wrong

Well, I assume that the problem I have, you do not have, so your screen is rendering things
like they should look, but mine is not.

I did try running it at the recommended resolution, and it was worse. AND the font size on
Safari and other Mac windows were so small as to be nearly unreadable.

Apparently, this is not a common problem.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's hard to help if you don't post screen shots at the native resolution of the screen.

Which Mac do you have?

M

MacInWin

Try going back to the native resolution of the screen, then you can set the font sizes in Safari to be larger, or you can use Command-+ to magnify them as you need. That approach will get your pictures back into proper ratio. Commanc -- will shrink the font sizes again. Did you look at the circle I posted?

OP
F
Reaction score
circle

Try going back to the native resolution of the screen, then you can set the font sizes in Safari to be larger, or you can use Command-+ to magnify them as you need. That approach will get your pictures back into proper ratio. Commanc -- will shrink the font sizes again. Did you look at the circle I posted?

Sorry, I missed your circle.
I just went to it and it looks like a perfect circle and measures as a perfect circle.
???

I have put the resolution to native and it makes it even worse. And making the fonts larger only increases then in certain places. Doesn't increase them in taskbars, for instance.

Really scratching my head.
Thanks

M

MacInWin

Bottom line: If the circle is round, then the screen is properly proportioned. If the pictures now look elongated, it is because previously they were shortened on your old monitor. As for fonts, use preferences in each app to set them to whatever you need. If you change away from the default resolution, you will add fuzziness and jaggies to the screen. In the long run, you won't like that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@fastlearner:

I can well understand your difficulty with reading the small fonts on the screen. As it's very likely that I'm a good deal older than you are... ;) What I have done with my iMac (1920 x 1080) is to employ a third party application when necessary to increase the size of fonts in certain applications.

I recommend using something like "MacPilot" which has a built in utility to increase the font size (without distortion) on most apps including browsers. You can download a trial of MacPilot here. It's $19.95 to buy a license and well worth the cost. There are a myriad of other features built in beside the font manipulator.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks

Well,

thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

I think I'm stuck with long tall people. chuckle.
Makes it challenging when doing graphics. I make them look like they are supposed to look,
then I print it and they look totally different, so I have to make them look odd on the screen, in order for them to print out correctly.

Guess I just have to live with it.

Thank everyone!
Donna

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey chscag many thanks from your Louisiana neighbor. I either forgot or did not know about that MacPilot feature. My eyes thank you. This will be even more useful if I purchase a new Mac later this year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.