School Network

Z

zanoncello

When I plug my iBook into the the schools network (through an eithernet cable which was connected to a computer) I can't connect to the network. Every time I plug it in my iBook tells me that it has self assigned itself an IP and so I can't connect to the internet or other machines. Most of the computers on the network are pc's but there are 3 macs which are connected and working on the network. I also tried using the same cable that they were connected with and same thing with self assigning. How can I get a network assigned IP so I can use the internet??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
in the network preferences you should be able to set it to automatically configure DCHP which should fix your problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, and restart..

also you can find out if any other macs are on the network with iChat rendezvous and iTunes :), when i get kicked offline at school, its like im really still online.. in network form.

OP
J

jcromartie

Excuse me? Restart? Is it 1995 again? :) Anyway, look at the network configuration of those macs. I take it you're at a high school with a small number of computers? They may not use DHCP in that case. Report back with some more info. Self-assigned means that your computer cannot contact a DHCP server, or it needs a valid DHCP Client ID (which is very very rare).

OP
S

StarManta

I had this same problem at home.... it's something in the school's end, not yours, I think. I solved mine by resetting my router settings, you'll probably have to talk to your school's tech support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
hmm i just figured college = school, why else would he have a iBook, unless hes a teacher.

you also may have to log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah we used to have to log in via a Novell client at my college.

OP
R

Redmands

my school just started running netreg forcing students to authenticate before an ip is given... u should check with the network people at school too and make sure you don't have to give them any information about your comp. ie:mac/hardware addy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.