Update problem

Reaction score
This is my first time using this forum, but I recently had trouble installing a security update.

I am currently using a macbook 5.2 version 10.6.8 on snow leopard.

Anyway I went to do the norma system update and at the very end it said "instillation failed"
ever since then, many of my applications will not open. (iTunes, SMC fan control, system updater ect.) it comes up with a big long error message. I have tried restarting my computer, and manually installing the update, but that failed again.

I do not have money to spend on this so fixing it for free would be awesome!
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks!

(picture attached is error message from itunes)

Screen shot 2013-04-01 at 12.21.15 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I suspect the issue is the first line in the screen shot you posted: incompatible with 10.6.8
Look it up on Apple's site.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By "normal system update" are you referring to checking for updates from the "Software Update" option of your Apple menu? Doing that will open the Mac App Store update dialog if you're running 10.6.8. If you received an error during the update, it's best to download the combination update for 10.6.8 and then try once more to obtain the security update.

10.6.8 combination update download from Apple: LINK After the combo update installs correctly, go back to software update from your Apple menu and try again. The security update may have been integrated into the combo update which will mean there will be no updates available.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try the combination update. I am away from my mac at the moment but I will let you know the results!

OP
Z
Reaction score
I tried the combination and got the same error as when I first did the security update.
attached is a picture of the message....

Screen shot 2013-04-03 at 12.07.43 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.