Mono audio after startup

Reaction score
I'm using OSX 10.6. After startup the audio is set to mono in the Universal Access in System Preferences. I perfer stereo audio and have to uncheck the "play stereo audio as mono" box. I would rather not have to go in and switch this every time I boot up. How can I get this to default to stereo audio after startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Have you checked your startup items? See if anything there is causing it to happen, maybe try resetting the PRAM reset, Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried resetting the PRAM and disabling all startup items to no avail. Anything else I can try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I personally do not know of anything else that I would try, maybe someone else can help you with it, sorry I couldn't help. Have you tried reinstalling OS X?

OP
S
Reaction score
In case anyone else runs into this:

Reinstalling the OS didn't work but I (accidentally) fixed this problem by deselecting mono sound in Universal Access preferences, selecting a different sound output device in sound preferences, rebooting and then switching back to the built in audio output. Now boots to stereo audio. Don't ask my why this worked, just know that it did. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.