"Push" video from iMac to iPad Mini for user to watch immediately

Reaction score
How can I "push" a video from my iMac to the screen of my wife's iPad mini allowing her to watch it immediately without transferring the actual file? I often come across a video that she would like but currently, I need to convert the file to an MP4 and put it in her iTunes, then use a program to allow her to access the file. Or she syncs her iPad Mini. Long before this, she has completely lost interested and is onto something that is easier to do.

I'd like to just send the video to the screen of her iMac Mini with very little/no actions by her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Have a look at the app StreamToMe. It works brilliantly for exactly what you want.

OP
Y
Reaction score
This is not what I'm looking for.

I want to select a video on my iMac (as I sit in front of it) and have it play on my wife's iPad Mini. Without her having to do little more than (maybe) click Yes on her screen.

OP
Y
Reaction score
To put it another way, she does not know how or want to know how to start an app, find a video file on my iMac from her iPad Mini, select it, resize it, etc.

She just wants to hold her iPad Mini and watch the video she has either requested or I have suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There's nothing that can do what you want.

Opening an app on an iPad, then touching the title of a video to play it is as simple as you'll get the process

OP
Y
Reaction score
That's unfortunate. Many people are disabled or elderly and can't perform these tasks on their own.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No, I think StraemToMe IS what you will have to use to do what you want to do. You CANNOT arbitrarily push anything to the iPad or any other device without consent..that just isn't how the system is designed..

You can, however, grab videos of interest and place them in a location on the iMac and instruct your wife to use the StreamToMe application to instantly watch it from the location you've pointed her to..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then, respectfully, in such circumstances an ipad is not the right solution

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's unfortunate. Many people are disabled or elderly and can't perform these tasks on their own.

If an elderly or disabled person DOES have an iPad, surely they can click on an application icon to launch it and perhaps a couple of more clicks to start a video..

Otherwise, frankly, the iPad is of little use if the user is just expecting to hold it in their hands and have things "magically" happen for them..

OP
Y
Reaction score
In most cases I would say yes. However, people with vision problems or do not have a steady hand will have problems. What I am doing now is starting the movie on the iPad and handing it to her or my parents.

It would be easier if I could send them a video link that they could click on that would start the video.

It doesn't solve all the problems (or work in every case) but it would be useful.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I've done other things to ease the situation. Such as put the icon(s) on their own separate page, That way they don't have to hunt for the icon.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, as you've discovered, a lot of the new electronics these days aren't for the technically savvy or disabled to some extent. They make a concerted effort to try to work with that demographic, but you have to imagine that the bulk of the users don't fit into that category, so there aren't really any real good solutions there..

Heck, iOS doesn't even support the concept of multiple users so that you can have two people with different sets of apps/settings for sharing..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.